Need help with way to add unmodifiable 3 page doc to a longer doc

Copper Contributor

Situation:  I am producing several hundred (and eventually thousands) of 3 page long Word documents dealing with compensation. Those docs will be shared with another team that adds the full contents of those three pages into a longer Word  contract document. 

Problem: I need the docs I produce to not be able to be modified by the other team. In the past, even with read only Word docs, they have just copied and pasted content into a new word doc and made the changes they wanted instead of following process, creating legal and compensation problems.

I know they could use Insert and add a .pdf but I also see that we would need to create a separate pdf page for each page of my document.  I don't see that being implemented successfully.

Is there another file format I could export to, or conversion I can make that will allow all three pages of my document to be imported into a file they can then copy/paste or import into their document and have the doc flow over multiple pages in the larger contract doc they are need it to appear in?  (and not be miniscule or fuzzy? )  

I am on Word for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2110) on a PC, but I also have access to my own Mac and could do conversions there if there is a better tool.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

2 Replies

Hello @heathermeaney ,

I am not sure I fully understand what it is that you want to achieve, but I gathered you have two potential issues. Please add more info if that is incorrect.

Issue 1: "I know they could use Insert and add a .pdf but I also see that we would need to create a separate pdf page for each page of my document.  I don't see that being implemented successfully." 

Answer: You worry that it is not possible to create a pdf page for each document. Use the save-as part of this macro (Word Mail Merge to Separate PDFs with Custom File Names and Folder Locations - Imnoss) to do that.

Issue 2: "Problem: I need the docs I produce to not be able to be modified by the other team"

Answer: If you use Sharepoint, use the 'Checkout' function to lock the document to read-only.

Issue 3: "s there another file format I could export to, or conversion I can make that will allow all three pages of my document to be imported into a file they can then copy/paste or import into their document and have the doc flow over multiple pages in the larger contract doc they are need it to appear in?  (and not be miniscule or fuzzy? )"

Answer: the above mentioned macro can help you with that, too, just use the 'save-as' part and use a different file type.

I hope this little helps at least to navigate you into a new direction which might turn into a suitable solution.

Regards, Lenka

Try selecting the three pages and then go to the Developer Tab and click on the Group dropdown in the Controls section of the ribbon and click on Group (and get a big stick to use on anyone who removes the grouping. In time they will learn. A big stick is known in Indonesian as a Bantu dengar as it can be used to help someone to hear instructions,)