Microsoft Office 2019 and 2016 for mac not signing in

Copper Contributor

hi all

I am experiencing a weird issue. we are trying to register an office for mac 2019, we insert the key into setup.office.com, download the installer and install it, and when opening word or any app for the first time, we are presented with a sign in window for activation. the user then enters their respective email address which they used when they created their office.com profile and hit next to be taken to the password page and the loading screen appears and hangs there just spinning indefinitely.

I have completely removed all office apps, multiple times, even manually and using Macmaster, searched and removed cached credentials from keychain, even created a new profile and tried, the problem still persists, on at least 3 macs that we are aware of.

However, if I try logging in with one of our own office 365 accounts, it works immediately.

what is going on?

15 Replies

I am also having the same issue on my Macbook Pro while I try to sign into Office 365. When I try to login to any of the Office apps, it won't ever let me get past entering my email and immediately starts the loading/spinning screen.

Please help! 

i have encountered the same problem and tried several time... please kindly advise the solution to this problem. Thank you .

@Agnes-1030 I was able to fix the issue by doing all the mac software updates. I thought I had, but had not. 

As per one of the replies to the post.

Ensuring all updates have been installed is a good start.

There are a few things that can cause the problem you're experiencing.

Since you have completely removed the installations of office etc (this is a good thing) it maybe worth sending the installer to the trash and downloading again.

Generally, it will be an office 365 account you need to use to activate office "use the full email address"

The details you need to activate office will be the same as the ones you use to sign into 365 on the web.
Portal.office.com

Also check you network connection and proxy settings to ensure there are no minor issues.

Check the type of license you have for office and how many installations are registered against the license as there is a limit to the number of devices it can be installed on.

This did not help me at all.

Fresh install of 10.11, Office 16.16... All Mac OS updates that I could, office update shows no updates and it does not work. Just sits there at loading forever after putting in my email address.

I have just downloaded and installed Office2019 for Mac and have exactly the same issue.
Hangs forever on login to activate, the account is fine and I can login via a browser window. There must be another way to activate!!

Since I don't see a working resolution to this yet am I to presume I must abandon Microsoft Office on the Mac and use Pages?@TashB 

I'm dealing with the same issue after performing a clean install of MacOS 10.11 on my mid-2007 iMac.  I realize Microsoft can't support all old OSs, but it would be nice if old versions of the software would activate on old OSs. 

I was able to resolve this authentication problem by removing Office for Mac 2016 version 16 and installing version 15.  This was last version compatible with Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan).

A download link is below:

Microsoft_Office_2016_15.41.17120500_Installer.pkg

I got the same issue for years now. Why is no one helping???

@Helovesbigbro 

I guess it's a retired product even though they say it's supported. For shame Microsoft. A cracked version actually works better than me paying for a license (which I do by the way).

I see many people having this issue, and Microsoft is not responding.

I have the same issue, and I would love to get a solution.
Maybe Microsoft may give us an answer, or do we need to stop buying their products?

@weskelley Thank you. This worked for me.

Thanks for the link!
I tried during days to install the 16's version with the same issue as the others on this issue

And it works. Happy ;)