Microsfot Word 2007.

Copper Contributor

I have Microsoft Word 2007, and as of today, I am unable to open ".docx" files.  When I attempt to do so, I receive the following error message: "Word experienced an error trying to open the file."  Right-clicking on the file name and selecting the "Properties" menu item reveals that there is no "Unblock" button in the "Properties" dialog box, and there is no check in the "Read-only" check box in the "Properties" dialog box.  How do I solve this problem?

2 Replies

Hello @Russell320 ,

between MS Word 2007 and the current version of Word are three different versions. While it is usually possible to open documents of neighbouring releases, Word 2007 is way too old to handle docx files.

Unless you want to upgrade to Word 2016, 2019 or Office 365, you won't be able to work with docx files.

You might want to try Libre office.

@Russell320 

Word 2007 has native support for the *.docx format, so you should definitely be able to open *.docx files in that version. 

How are you opening the documents? If you are double-clicking document icons, try using the Open dialog box instead (click the Office button and then click Open or press Ctrl+O).