Issues with opening new word documents

Copper Contributor

I have an office account through my university and since yesterday my word documents have been opening differently. When in the office app on my computer and select create new word doc it doesn't open in the word app but as a download in chrome, and when I click the download it opens in a different way. I will attach photos of the download pop-up, what it looks like when opening, and what the document looks like. How can I change it back to normal?????

Screenshot 2022-04-25 223702.pngScreenshot 2022-04-25 223747.pngScreenshot 2022-04-25 223830.png
1 Reply

Hello @kjohn297 ,

it is because it is opening in Word on-line, a different application which uses the browser.

It seems that your university changed the default setting. 

I suggest you either talk to their IT department, or simply first open the Word desktop application (yes, we have to differentiate now thanks to Microsoft) and then open a blank document.

It is possible, though, that the desktop app is not available for your university subscription anymore and if that is the case you need to talk to the uni's IT department and ask for help there.