I can't modify styles in Word Online

Copper Contributor
6 Replies

@Andrew_1079 The only way that you can modify a Style in the Online version of Word, is to select some text that has the required attributes and then access the Styles Gallery and right click on the Style and then click on "Update [Style name} to match selection".

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1665147516679.png

This fails to work with any style not showing up without pressing the down arrow because when my screen looks like yours my update to match selection choice appears behind the window which makes it impossible to use.
When I do what you explain and try to update a style, the selected text goes on bullet points. Instead of the style being updated with the attributes of the selected text, it looks like it works the other way round.

@Paolo1975 

First, apply the style to a text paragraph, then make the desired changes and finally update the style so that it matches the selection. 

Note that Word Online has many limitations compared to the desktop versions of Word running on a Mac or PC. You may not be able to successfully include all types of formatting. 

@Stefan_Blom Ok that worked, thanks.
I now have a issue applying the style separator. I've heard I should customize my ribbon to add that function, but it looks like you can't do it on the online version. 

I need to have 2 styles on the same line (eventually I will use one of them for the table of contents). 

If I select a text and chose any style (but the "Normal" one) then, as expected, the selected text changes its style. But if the style I chose is the default "Normal", then all the text in the line goes onto "Normal".

In other words, Normal is applied to all the paragraf, not just the selected text.

@Paolo1975 

I haven't tested recently, but my guess is that the style separator is another feature which is supported poorly, if at all, in Word Online. 

The style separator is fully supported in Word for Windows, but not necessarily in Word for Mac.