SOLVED

How to select text in Text Form Field

Copper Contributor

I have used Word to create a form that users can fill in. I have used Legacy Forms (not ActiveX Components) because I want the form to work in older Word versions as well. Everything has worked well so far and the users have managed to fill in text as planned. Now I would like to allow all users to select, edit and comment the text that has been filled in. Here comes the problem. I cannot select a certain word or sentence. When I try to select, the selection randomly extends to the whole paragraph or the whole text that has been written in one Text Form Field. Has anyone else had the same problem? Any help on this? Thanks.

Note: I have restricted editing in the document and allowed users to “Fill in forms”. I also tried other options but the problem with selecting prevails.

8 Replies

@Raija 

Generally, selecting content is a bit tricky in text form fields. What you can do is click inside a field and then hold the Shift key as you extend the selection with an arrow key.

@Stefan_Blom 

Thanks, Stefan. I tried this but I still cannot select a single word or a sentence. But what I can do is just stop protecting the document. This is not ideal, but after this I manage to select text by right clicking inside the Text Form Field. I wish there was a way around this because some of the elements in the form do not work if the document is unprotected. For example, the Check Box Form Field does not work. Anyway, thanks for your help.

@Raija 

Depending on your keyboard, you may have to use Shift+Fn+Left/right arrow rather than just Shift+Left/right arrow.

@Stefan_Blom 

I normally use Shift+Left/right arrow and it works well. It is only in the Text Form Field that it does not work. Thanks again for trying to help.

@Raija 

How strange. It is working here (tested in Word 2019), although it will be a bit more tricky compared to the corresponding task in an "ordinary" document.

Which version of Word/Office are you running?

@Stefan_Blom 

I am using Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus and Word version 2002 Build 12527.21416 Click-to-Run (Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel).

best response confirmed by Raija (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Raija 

I'm running version 2011 (build 13426.20404) of Office 2019.

You could try updating to the most recent channel and version. However, if you are using a corporate/organization installation of Office, you may not be allowed to do that yourself.

@Stefan_Blom 

Unfortunately, I cannot update my Word version. I also cannot control which version all the users are having. So, in the end, it seems like I cannot use the form the way I wanted. I will look for another solution. Perhaps converting the document in pdf and then commenting the pdf version. Thanks for your help.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Raija (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Raija 

I'm running version 2011 (build 13426.20404) of Office 2019.

You could try updating to the most recent channel and version. However, if you are using a corporate/organization installation of Office, you may not be allowed to do that yourself.

View solution in original post