Horizontal square dotted line

Copper Contributor

I keep getting a horizontal dotted line, the dots are small squares. I cannot get rid of this line. Can someone give me any idea what to do?

14 Replies

@judyb200shawca 

Please upload a screen shot, so that we can see what you see. 

Word does make some automatic "corrections," replacing (among other things) asterisks with a paragraph border. I am not sure if that applies to Word Online, though.

@Stefan_Blom 

Screenshot (1) dotted line.png

Thanks Stefan, as requested, screen shot of the horizontal dotted line that keeps appearing and I can't get rid of. 

@judyb200shawca 

Your screen shot definitely shows a paragraph border. 

When you see it being inserted, are you typing for example three asterisks in the text? 

@Stefan_Blom 

I put in a line of asterisks to act as a time elapse, a divider. I am writing a novel. It is since then that it has happened. It might be the border mechanism that is involved.  How do I get it off?

@judyb200shawca 

Immediately when you see the line being inserted, choose to Undo. That should revert to the original asterisks. 

No, I am not putting in asterisks, no page or paragraph divider at all. I have tried the 'undo` but it just undoes what ever is in the undo queue. Thanks for your help.

@judyb200shawca wrote:
No, I am not putting in asterisks, no page or paragraph divider at all. I have tried the 'undo` but it just undoes what ever is in the undo queue. Thanks for your help.

@judyb200shawca 

I thought you said that you inserted asterisks as a divider and that those characters convert into (becomes replaced with) a dotted line? Or did I misunderstand your description?

In the full version of Word you should be able to click the arrow on the Undo button and see a list of commands that has recently been executed by Word. That may not be possible in Word Online.

Sorry, I may not have described the problem accurately. It is difficult. I thought maybe the line was associated with a border function, and maybe the asterisks used as a break line between paragraphs, pages, could have something to do with it. The undo mechanism does not work because sorry if I mislead you, the horizontal dash line does not appear with any deliberate action. I have written to Microsoft Word but received no response from then and it was before writing to you. So altogether I am at a loss!!

See the article "There is a line in my document that I can't delete because I can't select it. How did it get there, and what can I do about it?” at:

wordmvp.com/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm

I am delighted to say I have found the cause of the annoying dotted horizontal lines and eliminated them. It is in Borders, and is just a simple click of 'none'. There are two 'nones' and I found clicking the second one did the trick. Thanks for your help.
Sorry, really thought I had solved the line problem but no, it's back again.
Can you upload a copy of the document, or send a copy to me at dougrobbinsmvp[atsymbol]gmail[dot]com
I really do think I have solved the problem with the line, but the ogre could appear again! Thanks all
Read the "How did it get there" part of the article "There is a line in my document that I can't delete because I can't select it. How did it get there, and what can I do about it?” at:

wordmvp.com/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm