Help needed with section break in Word Styles.

Copper Contributor

Hi, I'm formatting text for a typesetter using Styles.  I need to use Styles specifically to create a section break with three spaced asterisks and a blank line above and below.  How do I proceed? Do I just highlight two blank lines and the line with the asterisks and then apply to it a Section break style of my own creation.  I don't want blank lines with no style attached. The typesetter is insisting on Styles for everything.  All help welcome.  The paragraphs above and below the section break will also have styles applied.  Below is an example of what I'm at:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Aut recusandae nesciunt ut error eius sed eveniet blanditiis aut odio vel deleniti quasi eos nulla debitis est illum ipsa.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Aut recusandae nesciunt ut error eius sed eveniet blanditiis aut odio vel deleniti quasi eos nulla debitis est illum ipsa.

2 Replies

@Bradaun 

Word does not support including a section break in a style definition, if that is what you are asking.

EDIT: If you mean that you want a way to insert asterisks and possibly some blank spaces, I would suggest setting up an AutoText entry for that purpose. You can create a paragraph style with spacing before and after, type in the asterisks, select the whole piece of content and create the AutoText for easy reuse.

Hi @Bradaun ,

Two steps:

One: automated text, or "replace as you type" (File → Options → Proofing → 'AutoCorrect Options...' → 'Replace text as you type'. In 'Replace' type (for example) ** and in 'With' type "*  *  *" (* two spaces, * two spaces *). As you type '**' and a space it will auto-fill in with three asterisks (add spaces as you wish in betwee the asterisks).

Second: you create a new style, you can call it "Section break" if you wish, and apply the "Before and After" paragraph options. From what you posted, 18pt before and 18pt after might work for you, or 12pt and 12pt - depends on the specifics. In the 'Style set-up' set the 'following paragraph style' to your usual style. Apply the style to the asterisked line.

This should do it.

Just in case your typesetter insists on having a blank line before and after:

1. paragraph - just a blank line with the usual style,

2. paragraph - asterisks with "Section break" style,

3. paragraph - a blank line with the usual style,

4. paragraph - start typing again.