Hash marks dim in Word ruler

Copper Contributor

I have a Word doc (Office 365, Windows 11) set up with mirror images for the margins for the even and odd numbered pages. On the even numbered pages, the ruler's hash marks are visible. On the odd numbered pages, the ruler's hash marks are not visible (just the inch numbers are visible, not the hash marks themselves). When I use the ruler (using the double-sided arrow) to shift/drag the left margin on an odd numbered page, even a tiny bit, the hash marks appear. When I return the margin to the original spot, the hash marks disappear again. Also, just from a view standpoint, the position of the white section of the ruler shifts between the even and odd pages, which makes sense, given the mirror margins. I can't change the margins, since they are specific to the layout to publish a book. How can I get the hash marks on the ruler to remain visible under all conditions?

14 Replies
Does the issue affect all documents?

If you need to set tabs or indents, the respective dialogs can be used for precise settings.

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

I have four books (files) in which I use the "mirror margins" function for even and odd numbered pages and it happens on all four of those. It's not an issue on a regular Word doc.

I guess by "regular Word doc" you mean one that does not have mirror margins?

If you upload one of the documents with which you have the issue, one of us may be able to determine the cause of the issue and provide a work-arouind.
Yes, "regular Word doc" is one without mirror margins. I have no option to upload a doc. Suggestions?

@Dan_Purkey  If you click on Reply and then on the Open full text editor link,

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1663701193761.png

you will see the following screen in which you can browse to and select a file to be attached

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_1-1663701231193.png

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

Neither of the options highlighted in yellow in your screen shots show up for me when I hit Reply.

@Dan_Purkey Are you really sure that when you click on Reply, you do not see the Open full text editor link below the box containing "Enter reply text" as shown below?

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1663741367160.png

It won't be highlighted in yellow as I added the highlighting in the hope of guiding you to it.

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP 

Yes, I was sure. However, I tried it on this one and it worked. I'll not discount the possibility of an OE85 error - Operator Error 85% of the time. ;o)

The file for you to examine is attached. As an FYI, the Microsoft tech I chatted with did see the issue I described. However, when I took screen shots of the situation, in both the odd and even pages, the hash marks were clear, even though when looking at them in real time, they were so dim as to be almost invisible. Thanks, Doug, for hanging in there with me. Hopefully this gives you some meat to work with.

@Dan_Purkey  The attached video show the behavior here. 

Yes, I see that the hash marks are visible on both sides when viewed side-by-side. I set View to side-to-side on my computer and got the same result. However, when View is set to a single, vertical page (which is my vastly preferred way to work), the issue still appears on every other page. When you view the doc in the single, vertical page mode, do you see the issue?

@Dan_Purkey Yes, the hash marks are visible in the ruler for all pages when viewed in single page mode.

Well, I don't know where to go from here. The Microsoft tech in the chat saw the issue on a shared screen, so I'm not imagining it. Thoughts?
The hash marks are never that visible. However, you may be able to make them more prominent by re-calibrating your monitor(s) via the Windows>Settings>Display.
Hi, Doug. I tried recalibrating, also. Any other people you could involve to take a whack at it? Looks like this route has reached the end.