SOLVED

Harvard Referencing Style missing from Word 2019

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I am having an issue with the Referencing options on Word 2019. 

Harvard referencing was available on my styles dropdown last time I needed it -  about a year ago. It has now disappeared from the option list. MLA and APA are available but not Harvard

When I opened a document that I had written when Harvard was an available option, I clicked on my references list and got an error that said 

'You do not have the bibliography style that is currently being used in this document. Completing this action will reformat the bibliography and citations to your default bibliography style.;

When I look in C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Bibliography\Style the Harvard XSL Stylesheet is there under HarvardAnglia2008OfficeOnline

When I open the Stylesheet online I am shown this:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt" xmlns:b="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/bibliography" xmlns:t="http://www.microsoft.com/temp" version="1.0">
<xsl:output method="html" encoding="us-ascii"/>
<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:call-template name="Start"/>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template name="Start">
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="b:Version">
<xsl:text>2010.2.02</xsl:text>
</xsl:when>
<xsl:when test="b:XslVersion">
<xsl:text>2008</xsl:text>
<xsl:when test="b:StyleNameLocalized">
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="b:StyleNameLocalized/b:Lcid='1033'">
<xsl:text>Harvard - Anglia</xsl:text>

It continues and ends with </xsl:stylesheet>

Please help, I have a thesis due in May and my university insists on Harvard referencing. 

Thank you

Sarah

6 Replies

@SarahT850 

See also: Only APA and MLA as my sources.

This has been fixed for many users by switching their Language setting to English-US from English-UK or another  language. If that helps, it is a bug, and you should leave feedback for Microsoft.

This is a user-to-user support forum. -- You can give feedback TO MICROSOFT designers and decision m...

The Harvard style I have is Harvard - Anglia 2008. I believe that is out-of-date but it is the latest offered by Microsoft.

00 deleteme 8.png

This is in Word 365, Version 2210, Current Channel. The same Harvard-Anglia appears in Word 2010.

The APA 7 shown is from a third party. APA 7th edition (Word)

Note that most if not all of these are out-of-date. Microsoft has not been diligent in updating these.

Rather than use an outdated one, you may be better off seeking a third-party tool.

With that as a background, what happens if you start Word in safe mode?

Open Office apps in safe mode on a Windows PC - Microsoft Office

best response confirmed by SarahT850 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Charles_Kenyon 

Thank you for your quick response - not the one I was hoping for but appreciated nonetheless!

A shame that the styles have not been updated, it was a useful tool. 

Sarah

@SarahT850 

Had this problem. Went to options and changed "Office display language" from EN-UK to EN-US. Fixed my problem.

Hope this helps someone.

Made an account just to say thanks because this worked. Definitely the quickest and easiest solution to this problem

@DaithiW this was so helpful thank you so much. Recently bought a laptop and it did not have Harvard but only showed APA and MLA. If I could give you 5 stars for your advice, I would! (*****)

I also made an account just to thank you, deadline day saved!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by SarahT850 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Charles_Kenyon 

Thank you for your quick response - not the one I was hoping for but appreciated nonetheless!

A shame that the styles have not been updated, it was a useful tool. 

Sarah

View solution in original post