SOLVED

generating table of Figures / table of Tables / table of Anything

Copper Contributor

Hi All

I have a fairly large document (approx 80 pages that has a number of tables and also a number of figures (say 100 of each for argument sake)

I have created captions for each of the tables, and for each of the figures using Reference | Insert Caption and selecting Table or Figure as appropriate for each. I also understand that I could create a Caption and label a number of "Widget"s and have these generate a catalogue in the same manner as the figures/tables.

Each of the tables, figures and widgets are now labelled in the format something like as follows (within the document)

Table 1: AAA

Table 2: BBB

Table 3: CCC

Figure 1: 111

Figure 2: 222

Figure 3: 333

Widget: ABC

Widget: DEF

Widget: GHI

I now want to create a table of Contents (easy and working as I require / expect)

I also want to now create a however a table of tables, a table of Figures and a table of Widgets (in Reference | Captions | Insert Table of Figures (and select Figure / Table / Widget from the dropdown in the Captions group)

Using NATIVE MS Word function this provides

Table 1: AAA..................................Page 1

Table 2: BBB...................................Page 2

Table 3: CCC...................................Page 5

And similar for the other two tables.....

However what I want to see within the table of tables (and figures and Widgets) is something like

1: AAA..................................Page 1

2: BBB...................................Page 2

3: CCC...................................Page 5

I know I can edit the generated table of tables but want to know if this can be programmatically done (relatively easily)

Thanks in advance

Alan

2 Replies
best response confirmed by 63bean (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@63bean I think that the easiest way would be, when you have finished editing the document, select the Table of Tables and press CTRL+SHIFT+F9 to convert it to ordinary text and then left click on the T of the first Table and holding down the ALT key, drag down and across to the e of the last Table and then press Delete

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1716546391348.png

I hate to say it but I think you might be correct! Actually, I don't mind saying that at all :)

My question to your response - answer not really needed - more rhetorical .... would converting to text would also lose the hyperlinks?? I'll try it out.....

I really was hoping not to have to do this manually and thought that there might be a clever way (clever might not necessarily be faster in my case though)

I also took a look at the underlying code visible within the rtf file of my document soon after writing my question and had come to much the same conclusion - and obviously the available field-codes indicated that this was not available.

I guess some VB could be written to do this (just guessing) but that certainly is a longer path to follow and not what I would be comfortable doing.

Thanks very much Doug. Your answer is helpful

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by 63bean (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@63bean I think that the easiest way would be, when you have finished editing the document, select the Table of Tables and press CTRL+SHIFT+F9 to convert it to ordinary text and then left click on the T of the first Table and holding down the ALT key, drag down and across to the e of the last Table and then press Delete

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1716546391348.png

View solution in original post