Forms -- Protected with hyperlinks

Copper Contributor

We need to create forms that we can give to "editors" to add in resources such as urls. We then want to LOCK the form so that users can't change copy. However, we still want the hyperlinks to be active so that users can click on them. We can't seem to find a way to do this in Word. 

Any thoughts? Should we consider another tool? We are open to hiring someone who works in Word and can program something if that's the best way to do it. 

5 Replies
What version of Office/Word are you using and, on what type of computer will the forms be used.
If you are using a recent version of Office/Word (>2007), you should use Content Controls in which case, to prevent changes to the layout or text on the form, you should use the Group facility on the Developer tab of the Ribbon.

You should NOT use the Protection for Filling in Forms when you are using Content Controls.

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP  We're using Office 365. We are on PCs but these docs will be edited by people with all different configurations. Sounds like Word might not be the best option? If you still think it would work -- do you know where I can hire someone with expertise in Word development? This is just not something we can take on internally.  Thanks! 

@Barbara Pfeiffer If all of the users will be on PCs with Office 2007 or later, a form in Word using Content Controls would be OK.  There is not very much involved in setting it up and if you send a copy of what you have to me at dougrobbinsmvp[at symbol]gmail[dot]com, I will take a look at it for you. 

That is SO nice. Before I send you anything -- you did say PCs. Does that mean this won't work for someone who wants to fill in the form using a Mac?

@Barbara Pfeiffer According to the information on John Korchok's website:

https://www.brandwares.com/bestpractices/2019/08/content-controls-for-macos-cool-code/

while a form using Content Controls cannot be created on a Mac, in Word 2016 for Mac, the program started honoring Content Controls created in Windows, so they work as expected on both platforms.