Footnotes in Word

Copper Contributor

Following all the standard procedures, I am unable to have Word restart numbering footnotes on each page of my documents. The other options work OK--"continuous" and "restart each section;" "restart each page," however, causes all footnotes to become "8s" I've just spent over an hour with Microsoft support with no resolution to the problem.

4 Replies

@John46572138 If you upload a copy of the document, one of us will investigate the issue.

If there is a solution, will you please post it here. I am having the same problem in documents that have been in process for a few years. I noticed on May 10, Microsoft recognized this was an issue and indicated the status is: INVESTIGATING.
Thank you.

@Betty_Bliss 

Try accessing the Footnote and Endnote dialog by clicking on the dialog launcher in the Footnotes section of the References tab of the ribbon and access the Number Format dropdown to change the type of numbering to one of the other formats, and then repeat the process to change it back to the desired format and see it the numbers are then correct.  Alternatively, change the Footnotes to Endnotes and then back to Footnotes by using the Convert button 

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1715803487743.png

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP Thanks very much for your feedback. Nothing seemed to work until I pasted the old document into a new normal.dotm template and suddenly everything was the way it should be. I brought this possibility up with the Microsoft tech, but he didn't think the problem had anything to do with a template. I would like to know more about the nuts and bolts of this problem, but at least now my project can go forward.