Footnotes - Best way to create live footnote links

Copper Contributor

I wrote a 400-page book and put the references as a numbered list at the end of each chapter. Now I need to go back and make the footnote into live links and move them all to be endnotes, so I can upload the book to be published on Amazon.

The book has chapters. Right now, each chapter has its own footnotes, starting at “1”. I need to make them into endnotes, listed by chapter.

Right now the footnotes are simple digits at the end of the paragraph. I need to make them live links to the source reference.

I want the numbering of each chapter’s footnote to start at #1.

I think the first step is to make each chapter a section, so I have done that.

What's the best way to link the footnote numbers in the text to the actual source reference?

(I'm new to Word, so screenshots would be helpful, please.)

EXAMPLE:
Radioactive cesium from the Fukushima nuclear plant disaster arrived on the shores of North America in months and had contaminated most of the commercial fish in the North Pacific ocean.(1) The University of Victoria, Canada sampled sockeye salmon from Okanagan Lake in British Columbia that tested positive for cesium as well, even though it is ‘upstream’ from and 300 kilometers away from the Salish Sea. Ce called the ‘Fukushima Isotope’ because its half-life is short and can be dated back to the nuclear meltdown in Japan.(2) Bald eagles of North America have the dubious honor of having the highest concentrations of PFOS in any animal. This is an amount higher than any measured in humans, even those who had worked in factories that made the PFOC chemicals. The eagles attained this level even though they have never cooked their fish in a non-stick frypan!(3)

When and How to Test - References
1. Smith JN, et al. Arrival of the Fukushima radioactive plume in North American continental waters. PNAS Journal. Feb. 3, 2015, vol 112, no5. pg 1310-1315. www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1412814112
2. Note: The levels currently seen (8 years post-meltdown) in the migrating salmon are less than the regulatory health risk levels set by the Canadian government. 2019. Source for further information - https://fukushimainform.ca

0 Replies