Embedding an MSWord page in an MsWord document?

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to embed an entire MSword page (with text and graphics) as an object in an MSWord document so as to have text flow around it?

15 Replies
Use a screen capture program such as Snagit from www.techsmith.com to capture the page that you want to insert and the copy the result from the Snagit Editor and paste it into your document.
Thanks for responding. That could work, but if possible I would like to get a higher definition than screen capture. Is there a way to insert a PDF as a viewable object, not an icon?

@denwayz 

You should try Snagit. In addition to its Screen Capture ability, it also includes a printer that can be used to "print" a document that can be saved in the Snagit editor as an image that can be inserted into a document.

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1644477628462.png

Click on the image in my response and expand it to see the quality of a Snagit screen capture.
Thanks for responding. Will give it a go.
Unfortunately not (at least so far). Here's the challenge.
- Snagit copies the multiple graphics into a single snapshot as desired.
- However, as in the case original, the graphic-of-graphics covers the entire page edge-to-edge on all sides. As such it requires a 'fix position' on page setting (since 'in line with text' won't do that).
- I have tried every text wrapping option but cannot get text to flow around the graphic (that is, go to the next page). To be clear what is required is that there be TEXT on page 1, GRAPHIC on page 2, and TEXT on page 3. If the TEXT on page 1 overruns the page, it needs to flow to page 3. What it does instead is push the graphic forward, creating a new page 2
- I can achieve the same effect (ensuring that the overrun TEXT on page 1 doesn't run into the GRAPHIC on page 2) by putting a page break before the graphic. But then I am continually having to cut and paste to neaten things up. Also it is easy to miss since adding text on page 35 may lead to overrun on page 53.

@denwayz Did you try the "Top and Bottom" Text Wrapping option?

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1645154761501.png

Yes. Again now to make sure.
- Also 'IN LINE WITH TEXT' basic
- Also 'TOP AND BOTTOM' with MOVE WITH TEXT
- Also 'TOP AND BOTTOM' with FIX POSITION ON PAGE
I can't get text to flow around any whole page (the edge to edge appears to have nothing to do with it).

Does this work for you?

@denwayz 

In my experience, it is very difficult to position a graphic so that it is the only content on a page and at the same time have text flow past the object (in such a way that the text actually skips a page). Because of the paragraph mark to which the graphic is anchored, the page will usually not stay completely empty of text. This is a limitation which does not exist in page layout programs such as Publisher.

One way to achieve it would be to use Text Boxes on the pages before and after the image that are linked so that the text from the first one does flow to the second. That's really only feasible where the text is not going to exceed the space available in the second Text Box. In that case, the image would be inserted so that it is inline with text.
Indeed, linked text boxes would be one way. Building a document with text boxes wouldn't be easy, though. It would be more appropriate in a page layout application such as Publisher.
Thanks to all for your feedback.

Text boxes are not feasible for a project of this size (plus 500,000 words) which keeps updating in different places in the text. I know that I am pushing MsWord to the limit in terms of its ability to handle complex graphics (this shows up as memory problems, for instance). The switch to a a more-design oriented program such as Publisher or InDesign seems the obvious step. But I have no experience with either, and and am loath to take on the learning curve with this project so far along. So I will soldier on unless MsWord can't do what I want it do. Thanks again.

@denwayz 

I know a little about Publisher. It has the basic functionality of a layout program (positioning and text flow) but it won't be very good with long documents. One reason is that Publisher does not have the ability to create an automatic table of contents or index. Also, numbering (headings, lists) is rather limited compared to what Word can do.

I have some experience with InDesign as well. It is capable but requires that you think quite differently compared to Word, for example regarding headers and footers. As you said, there is a learning curve. There is also the price, of course. InDesign is rather expensive. As far as I can tell, you can only get it if you purchase a subscription. 

That is a very brief summary. :)  I know a lot more about Word than I do about Publisher or InDesign. If you are considering InDesign for the future, you will have to do a lot more research, of course.

Again, thanks for responding. Yes to all of the above.

For reasons specific to the project, I manually create different versions of the TOC, and it has no index. There are also a very specific use of headers and footers. And then there are issues of conversion to PDF (particularly around hyperlinks and multimedia). So far I am wrestling Word along. Hopefully I can get it across the line.

@denwayz There is one way that might work for you, that is, in the Header, insert an If...then...Else field

{ IF { PAGE } = # "" }

where # is the number of the page on which you want the screen capture\picture to appear and paste the picture between the quotation marks (with the option set under File>Options>Advanced>Cut, copy, and paste for Insert/paste pictures as to "In line with text") and size the picture so that it occupies the space between the margins.  While the picture may not be appear in the Word document, as shown in the following screen shot of a document saved as a pdf, the picture only appears on the page number set in the If...then...else field (2 in the document that I used)

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1645844179518.png