Do you know how to remove section breaks. Please explain in easy to use steps. Thank you!

Copper Contributor

I have section breaks that were unable to be removed from my document.  When I try clicking section breaks it does not highlight it and remove it. I am trying to make it continuous instead of having a section break which will make it a one page document also.

2 Replies

@cheryllgerstein 

Which version of Word is this? I'm assuming here that you have a fairly recent version which makes use of the ribbon interface.

Generally, unless the document is protected in some way, you should be able to just select and delete section breaks. Doing so will often change the formatting of the document, though, because section breaks store section formatting (margins, orientation, newspaper columns etc.) for the section preceding the break.

To see all section breaks, display nonprinting marks, for example by clicking the ¶ icon on the Home tab.

@cheryllgerstein If you are using Sharepoint and editing the document online, you will have trouble and cannot display hidden markups nor can you delete section breaks.  However, if you go back into Sharepoint you can carefully select the radio button next to the document rather than clicking the link on the document name.  This will give you additional options, including opening the document in the desktop Word application for full editing features (open in App).  You should be able to follow the normal steps after that.