Custom Page Numbering Format

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'd like to have a custom page numbering format - exactly like how you can make a custom numbering format for the bullets. It is important that the custom page numbering format is automated, because I need the page numbers to be reflected in the table of contents. Specifically, I want both the table of contents as well as the in-page number to read "S#" (e.g. S1, S2, S3, etc.). Unfortunatley, I haven't been able to find a way to make this possible and the best solution I've found is to have the table of contents read "1, 2, 3, etc" and the in-page number to read "S#" by simply typing in an "S" infront of the page-number in the footer.

Thanks!

8 Replies

@walshse3 

If you insert the "S" in the main body of the document by using a SEQ field you can then have the table of contents reference that SEQ field so that the "S" is included with the page number.

Stefan_Blom_0-1679422017122.png

In the table of contents, \s "test" includes the "S" from the SEQ field whose field name is "test." 

In the SEQ field, the \* ALPHABETIC \r 19 switches inserts the letter "S". 

In the footer (or header), reference the "S" by adding { SEQ test \c } before the page number field. 

To insert a SEQ field, you can use Ctrl+F9 to add the field delimiters, { }. (On some keyboards, you have to press Ctrl+Fn+F9 rather than just Ctrl+F9.) Type the code as shown. You can show/hide field codes with Alt+F9 (Alt+Fn+F9). Update any field in the selection with F9 (or Fn+F9).

In the footer (or header), you can add Page numbers that are preceded by a single letter can be created with a SEQ field. 

See also the "Adding chapter numbering" section in the article at http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/TOCTips.htm.

Here is the result of the fields: 

Stefan_Blom_0-1679422516598.png

@walshse3 

Here is my writing on Page Numbers in Word 2007-2021 (365).

I know of no way to accomplish this, exactly, in Word. However, you can come close, using Chapter Numbering in a bizarre way.

First you need to set up a MultiLevel List and Heading 9 alphabetical numbering and start it with S.

Set the color for the number as white so it will not show up.

Charles_Kenyon_0-1679423148964.png

Note the sequence in the screenshot above. Then on the first page of your document use Heading 9, which can be formatted exactly the same as your other text, and you would really only need a space in the paragraph formatted as Heading 9.

Then, in the Format Page Numbers dialog, tell Word that you want to use Chapter Numbering following Heading 9. You have to pick a separator, though, so you will have a character between S and the number. Here a colon is chosen.

Charles_Kenyon_1-1679423357015.png

These will then be the pages that show up on any page using a Page field for numbering and that will show up in the Table of Contents (or Index).

@Charles_Kenyon 

Note that you can use SEQ fields for this. See my previous reply as well as Suzanne S. Barnhill's article on table of contents tips & tricks.

Thank you. I suspect that SEQ fields would be less complex. It works for the TOC.

I was looking for something that handled the Page Number on the page as a formatted page number. However, it is simple enough to add the S to the numbering on the page itself manually in the footer.

@Charles_Kenyon 

Indeed, in the footer you can just type in the "S" next to the page number field. :)

Using the \s field with SEQ fields is sometimes useful. There is of course a limitation in the sense that you can only use the number/letter formats that a SEQ field can produce.

@Stefan_BlomThis solution worked for me, thank you very much! It didn't work as easily as I hoped, but it got me in the right direction. For the table of contents, I included the \s "test" and later in the document, in white text (so that it's not noticable) I included "SEQ test \* ALPHABETIC \r 19." However, I was unable to get the { SEQ test \c } to correctly work in the footer. Nonetheless, the table of contents was updated to the correct format, and I simply just typed the letter "S" into the footer to match the format of the table of contents. Thank you very much!

@walshse3 

Thanks for the follow-up. I am glad you found the solution useful, with all of its limitations. :)