SOLVED

Borders around text

Copper Contributor

Hello all. For some reason, I can no longer place a PARTIAL border around a single word. When I use the Borders and Shading dialog box, no matter what side of the text/word I choose to place a border on, it places a border around the entire word. Any ideas on how to fix the issue? 

4 Replies
Testing back as far as Word 2003, I do not think that has ever been possible.

Thank you for looking into it @Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP. Unfortunately, it is happening to me and hopefully someone will have a solution for it. 

best response confirmed by Hman58 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Hman58 As I said, it has NEVER been possible to put a border around only some of the sides of a Word. It's ALL or NOTHING.
For vertical "borders" before and\or after a word, you can use a pipe |symbol| and for a bottom "border" you can underline the word. For a top "border", you can use an EQ field { EQ \X \to (Wordwithtopborder) } You must use CTRL+F9 to insert the field delimiters and ALT+F9 to toggle off their display.

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_1-1658991456516.png

will give you:

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1658991396783.png

@Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP Thank you very much Doug! That's very helpful.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hman58 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Hman58 As I said, it has NEVER been possible to put a border around only some of the sides of a Word. It's ALL or NOTHING.
For vertical "borders" before and\or after a word, you can use a pipe |symbol| and for a bottom "border" you can underline the word. For a top "border", you can use an EQ field { EQ \X \to (Wordwithtopborder) } You must use CTRL+F9 to insert the field delimiters and ALT+F9 to toggle off their display.

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_1-1658991456516.png

will give you:

Doug_Robbins_Word_MVP_0-1658991396783.png

View solution in original post