WVD and teams optimization

Copper Contributor

We have deployed a WVD pool with teams using the optimization for WVD. The camera and mic are working fine but we have a real big problem with audio and video quality. It would seem to be worse when in group calls. The issues we are facing is delayed voice and pixelated video.

Has anybody else experienced issues like these?

Are the any other tweaks that can be made to improve the quality?

53 Replies

Will be testing a new PoC this week and will also check how Teams is doing with the things u mentioned.

@Paul Collins @DP 

This is also a major issue for us. I have a ticket open, but is going nowhere fast.

WVD with FSLogix profiles (and the correct exception) and WebRTC Optimisations enabled.

*Audio begins in sync. But as a meeting goes along, the video gets more and more out of sync compared with the audio. A terrible experience, and affects everyone using WVD. In some instances I have seen over 5-10 seconds delay.

*Video quality can be very poor and pixelated, but is perfect on a local machine. Movement causes this to become worse.

*Audio quality is generally fine

*A large delay in switching video streams as gallery mode does not work in WVD

*1 to 1 calls seem to be better, larger meetings are much worse.

@Paul Collins  have you deployed Teams to the WVD environment in this way - 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/teams-on-wvd ?

There is a lot of useful information on this doc if you have not seen it yet

@StevenHayes 

Yes it's poor and totally useless. I also have a open case with MS but that is painfull at the momment asking stupid questions.

I will let you know how we get on but it's good to know somebody else has the same issue as us.

Yes we followed that guide when we deployed it all
What vm size are you using? Just a thought but maybe try provisioning a larger size vm on its own as a test using Teams and see how that behaves?

@Shabazdarr 

We are running D8s V3 machines and i have also tested this on a another customer of ours WVD setup. Both get the same results.

Have you had it working?

Yes we set it up using the same method you did and have not had any complaints around Teams video or audio quality. Have you done any monitoring of resources when the issue is occurring? Is it an intermittent issue are is it all video calls?

@Shabazdarr 

It's all video calls. One to one calls are fine it's when you have more than one party on the call that the issues start. We have two meduim sized rollouts at the momment and we have tested it on both.

Resources on both the WVD servers and local machines is fine.

@Shabazdarr 

Did you setup any NSG groups and allow outbound ports for the team’s optimizations?

This is somthing MS are asking use to do

I wonder if it’s to do with network throughout on the VM virtual nics? Both video and voice quality is dependent on network resources rather than compute. Have you tried any other similar apps like zoom or Skype? Just for a comparison...see if it’s app or infrastructure related.

Sorry I can’t help more apart from giving ideas around troubleshooting
Yes I had NSG with all traffic allowed outbound. It’s not a bad shout

@Shabazdarr 

Cheers i will give that a try then.

We have not tried Zoom or any others. None of these are optimized like teams is so would expect poor results anyway. We have a 1gb connection to azure so can't see it being client side.

No problem, let me know how the NSG goes

@StevenHayes 

Have you had a luck with your open ticket?

@Shabazdarr 

We put the NSG on but made no difference

I am having the same issue with Teams optimization.  It seems to lose sync and drop frames as the call goes on.  Any updates on this?

@patrick-h 

Only update i have is that Microsoft know it's a issue wider than just us now

@Paul Collins Thanks for the quick reply.  This is a really frustrating issue.  Do you have the profile exclusions setup that are listed here:  Teams for Virtualized Desktop Infrastructure - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs