Windows Virtual Desktop Static IP

Copper Contributor

How can i assign an internet static IP on WVD Host ? 

11 Replies

@Giannis Aidinis : Do you mean on one of your virtual machines that are connected to the service? You can do this by going to Azure, finding the virtual machine that you created, then assigning it a public IP address since the virtual machine is in your subscription and in your control.

@Christian_Montoya I think he meant "Windows Virtual Desktop" the new Azure feature (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/virtual-desktop/). I would like to know the same, is there any way to assign static IP to the group of WVD VMs or at least to each WVD VM?

@4egtfk , @Giannis Aidinis : What exactly would the Static IP address be used for? Is this for any communications out from the VMs when you have an active session and you're browsing the Internet, etc.? If so, I did find an article how outbound connections from a load balancer

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/load-balancer/load-balancer-outbound-rules-overview

However, we haven't tested this scenario. Would love to hear how it works for you, if this is what you're looking for and you implement this,.

@Christian_Montoya 

Load balancer only supports 5 outbound rules. One outbound rule can only be attached to one NIC. An availability set only supports one load balancer.

Means, you can use a load balancer with outbound rules, if you have a maximum of 5 VMs in your hostpool. If you have more than 5, a load balancer with outbound rules does not works.

@Christian_Montoya 

Why reply with a question to an obvious question.  He wants an external static IP.  what difference does it make why he needs it?

Would also like to know the more details on this. This also seems like something you and your team should be testing since there are operations going on in the background with the AVD/WVD control plane and session host that we can't necessarily account for, at least as not as easy as you and your team could.

The scenario is that they have web applications that need a static external address.

Thanks
You can solve this by using a NAT Gateway. We are using it for a customer who required a static IP. It's fairly easy to set up but there are some additional costs to it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/nat-gateway/nat-gateway-resource
Hello.
Why does it matter what it is needed for? I don't see why you would need a static IP for out bound internet access. A static IP would only be needed for inbound traffic from one service to send data to another PC.
Interesting. Then all the WVD pcs would have a single static IP and I could then use port forwarding to direct the traffic?

@Tacllem A lot of publicly accessible resources apply IP access lists. The source IP of your AVD traffic needs to be whitelisted. If the IP constantly changes, you need to constantly update the new IP. 

We have used NAT Gateways with static IP this way for a while now, as we use IP verification for some external resources (online dictionary services). But now we noticed that some websites (godaddy.com as an example) seems to block us from accessing them, most likely due to us using a proxy.