what can we install in WVD?

Brass Contributor

Hi 
I have been working with Windows Virtual Desktop from couple of months and successfully on boarded two customers who are using Windows Virtual Desktop with O 365 users. Also, because of the Covid-19 situation a lot of customers are contacting us for Windows Virtual Desktop service. I am sometimes confused to understand their requirements. I can list out some of them for reference. I am asking this because sometimes when customer asks for requirement we really don't know or say to them if it works in Windows Virtual Desktop. It will be also a great help if Microsoft gives a document saying so and so application can be installed in Windows Virtual desktop.

The customers are usually asking for the below requirements, for some of these questions I really don't have any answer.

• Can we install and use iTunes and i Cloud in Windows Virtual Desktop?
  • Can we install MS SQL server in Windows Virtual Desktop?
  • Can we use Microsoft Teams, Skype and make video calls in Windows Virtual Desktop?
  • Can we redirect finger print USB device scanner in Windows Virtual Desktop?
  • Can we install Eclipse in Windows Virtual Desktop?
  • Can we install Java 11 Android Studio in Windows Virtual Desktop?
  • Can we enable Public IP to the Windows Virtual Desktop Machine?
  • Can we Install Java in Windows Virtual Desktop?

So any insights about what all can be installed and can be used with Windows Virtual Desktop?  

1 Reply

@gadmin285 Windows Virtual Desktop supports multiple operating systems:

1. Windows Server 2012 R2/2016 and 2019
  2. Client based such as Windows 7, Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session. 

Since the majority of customers use Window 10 Enterprise multi-session I'll assume that's the guidance you are looking for. 

In general any application that works on Windows 10, is expected to work on Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session but there are exceptions:

• Applications like Eclips, Java, Java Android Studio SQL, iTunes and iCloud are expected to work unless they can't cope with multiple users launching the app simultaneously. If that's the case and these apps are required it would push you down the non-multi-session path and use Windows 10 Enterprise instead.  Alternatively you could look at FSLogix which allows you to run multiple versions of Java on the same VM, potentially resolving version conflicts. 
  • Any application that uses intensive audio/video such as collaboration tools require optimizations for virtualization based solutions. We are working on a WVD optimized version of Teams and expect to launch a public preview soon. This will offload audio/video to your local Windows 10 device with the goal of delivering the same experience as Teams running locally. 
  • Any application that requires a physical device might, or might not, work as designed. Please look at our redirection options listed here. You could try this by remoting into a local Windows 10 device using mstsc.exe and tick all boxes in the redirection options.
  • You can enable a public IP to the virtual machine but it's not recommended. WVD doesn't require any inbound ports to be opened and works using a private ip/subnet - something most organizations like due to the increased security posture. 

Lastly, please look at AppAssure - a team in Microsoft that delivers no-costs AppCompat support, including WVD. Their support depends on the scenario you are perusing but their general goal is to unblock any appcompat issues using any means possible.