Template: Create and provision new Windows Virtual Desktop hostpool - licenseType Windows_Client

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I use my own templates for session hosts based on Server 2016 and then apply the DSC inside Configuration.zip from MSFT as the way to enable WVD. This seems to work OK. 

However, as I went through the MSFT template, I noted that that it was setting licenseType for VM's to Windows_Client. This does not make immediate sense to me.

Does anyone know why/if this is required for WVD? 

Cheers,

Johan

4 Replies

Hi @Johan_Eriksson ,

This is included if you use the Windows 10 image from the gallery.

If your user has the needed license in Azure AD, then the user already has a license for Windows 10 Pro. Therefor, you can enable Hybrid Benefit on that VM.

If you deploy a Windows Server OS, you still need to have a CAL/SAL license on top, and you have to look at the client side if you can enable Hybrid Benefit using available licenses at the client side

Hi @michawets ,

Thanks for the answer. FYI:Your templates always set the value Windows_Client, the way I read them. It does not check for server OS. 

Cheers,

Johan

Hi @Johan_Eriksson ,

You are right, it doesn't check it at all! I thought there was a check...

Let me check this with the ARM template owners :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes::thumbs_up:

The fact is that it is used for Hybrid Benefit, as you can read here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/templates/microsoft.compute/2019-03-01/virtualmachines (search for "licenseType")

@michawets @Johan_Eriksson : This is currently in place such that the virtual machines you create as part of Windows Virtual Desktop are only charged for the pure compute rate on Azure (no additional charge for Windows Server if running WS 2016). We will have updated guidance as we progress. However, you will need the appropriate RDS CALs if you are running RDSH workloads in Windows Virtual Desktop.