(Solved) Investigating issue with Windows 10 Enterprise (multi-session), version 2004

Microsoft

Microsoft has recently released Windows 10 Enterprise (multi-session), version 2004, also known as the Windows 10 May 2020 Update.

Three images are offered to Windows Virtual Desktops customers and can be found in the Azure gallery as follows:  

• Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 2004 
  • Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session, Version 2004 
  • Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session, Version 2004 + Office 365 ProPlus 

We are investigating an issue where newly deployed or upgraded VMs can no longer be accessed through Windows Virtual Desktop. While we are investigating, it's recommended to use the previous of the image versions available which includes version 1809, 1903 or (recommended) 1909. 

Any updates will be shared in this thread.

Update 7/17/2020: 
The fix has been deployed and Windows 10 (multi-session), version 2004 is now fully supported on WVD. 

Update 6/29/2020: 
We've identified an issue in our deployment, a fix is currently being scheduled and it's expected to be rolled-out mid-July. 

Update 6/2/2020: 
It's possible to work around the issue by adding the following registry key, followed by a reboot: 

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\rdp-sxs]
"fReverseConnectMode"=dword:00000001

34 Replies
We are still seeing the same issues with this build with WVD, are you guys sure things are resolved?

@Travis_78 Hi Travis - what issues are you seeing? 

@PieterWigleven 

With the latest fix you have updated in the thread - do we need to update our golden images of 2004 that were created before the fix in July?

@limaecho No, the fix isn't in Windows itself but the templates used during deployment. 

@PieterWigleven We had to change our artifacts version 1.0.13. Can we track new versions of this artifacts? 

After deploying the new image we needed to do two things:

1. VM is not available in the pool until to reboot of the vm
  2. We still needed to add the registry key marked as solution 

After those changes we are able to connect. 

@Travis_78 I'm seeing the same thing all of a sudden today.  All 5 session hosts went to unavailable, and they've been working for the last 6 weeks fine (2004 marketplace image, with Office). I see all the symptoms of the SxS issue, can confirm the registry value is there, but same problem (can RDP from another system within the private network), but 'unavailable' as session hosts.  Uninstalling will show as 'upgrade failed' momentarily before going to unavailable again.  Qwinsta never shows sxs.

We are facing the same issues with Windows 10 Enterprise Multisession 20H1 (19041.450 , 488, 508) 

1. VM is not available in the pool until to reboot of the vm
  2. We still needed to add the registry key marked as solution
  3. We are also facing extended Black Screen upon Login 

@AbdulJaleelCSA Are you seeing this with new deployments or upgrading Windows on existing hosts? Please help me understand the as much as possible on this scenario. Thanks!

@PieterWigleven 

Hi together my name is maximilian and i'm pretty new to the forum.

I'm facing the exact same error since 1 day at a singel customer.

The Image is new deployed and about a week old. At a lot of other costumers it works fine without any problems. Can you please help - this is a really bad situation because we changed completely to cloud and now nothing is available. The actual workaround is to connect per VPN + RDP Client.

Additional Information:

- REG Key is set

- Session Hosts are available

- no other obviously errors

Thanks a lot 

Maximilian

@PieterWigleven 

We always deploy new hosts (Old host are removed) , and been facing these issues from at least 6 weeks now 

We have tested following Windows Builds (WVD fall 1909 as well as WVD2 or spring 2020 update) 

Image is always built from latest marketplace image 

RegKey is present (added via GPO) , Results are same

Please do let us know if any further information is required from our side 

@AbdulJaleelCSA The RegKey was a temporarily workaround, it shouldn't be required for new deployments. Would you be able to do a new deployment without the GPO? If it doesn't work I can go back to the team that owns this component and see what's up.

@PieterWigleven 

We have tested it both ways 

1. Host pool with no regkey 

2. New host pools with regkey (via GPO)

Results are same 

Please do let us know if we can do any thing else to help resolve this 

Hi All, 

Even I am seeing the same issue for my WVD Host Pool. As all the VM's shows unavailable. During the deployment i didn't see any issues. 

Please suggest, if any have any fix for this issue 

@Reddy1170 @AbdulJaleelCSA

I just did a test deployment with Windows 10, version 2004 and the session hosts show up as available immediately - is that not the case in your environment? (I have a recording I can share in case that's useful for whatever reason).

@PieterWigleven 

Hi Peter, Unfortunately that is not the case , and if the host show available in portal , in reality these remain unavailable , 

We have been able to fix all the issues by switching back to Windows 10 Multisession 1909 18363.1082 

we have learned our lesson and will no longer be using windows 10 20H1 for foreseeable future