SOLVED

Requirement to have an on-prem AD

Brass Contributor

Looking at the documentation, it seems an on premise AD is required for Windows Virtual desktop in Azure and Azure domain join is not supported. Can anyone confirm if that's definitely the case? It seems poor to have a new cloud service launched that has a dependency on on-prem AD. 

49 Replies
Thanks for the reply Tommy. Are you running a hybrid AD environment using Azure AD Connect? Or are you running Azure ADDS all by itself?

ADDS by itself we just retired on premise 3 weeks ago we use cloud authentication now  and not having those noisy servers running all the time has been great!  @415Group_Ray 

I swear I've tried every article I could find on the matter (including those with PS commands). I still could not get passed domain joining my instance. I spent almost an entire day on it. Azure support was little help. If you could find the article you used I could give it a shot.

I had problems with the domain join also for months but once i figured out I had to setup the environment in powershell first I got past it! @415Group_Ray 

@smithanc 

For your use case, you might consider a product called TruGrid SecureRDP. It lets you connect to Windows computers running RDP behind firewall without opening firewall ports.

@415Group_Ray 

The key things to ensure are

1. Make sure you have DNS set up on your vNet to point to the DNS IP's of the AADDS Dc's\DNS

2. Make sure you force a password change on the account you are using to join the wvd's to the domain

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory-domain-services/synchronization

"For cloud-only Azure AD environments, users must reset/change their password in order for the required password hashes to be generated and stored in Azure AD. For any cloud user account created in Azure AD after enabling Azure AD Domain Services, the password hashes are generated and stored in the NTLM and Kerberos compatible formats. All cloud user accounts must change their password before they're synchronized to Azure AD DS."

3. The account used for the domain join doesn't have MFA enabled

Hi @Christian_Montoya,

It has been over a year since you posted that Azure AD Join for WVD was on the backlog. As an organization that has completely eliminated our infrastructure and migrated to 100% Azure and Office 365, not having this option is a major barrier to implementing virtual desktops. Is there a way to track this feature or understand where it is on the priority list?

Thanks,

John

Azure Ad Domain services works fine

@tommy_barnes 

Thank you for your reply, but my understanding is that Azure AD Domain Services is essentially a traditional AD Domain as a service running in Azure. We do not have, nor do we need that for our 100% cloud environment. All our machines are deployed using Windows Autopilot and managed by Intune. Machines are Azure AD Joined, which is different from joining a domain, whether on-prem, using Azure AD Domain Services, or hybrid.

On 4/9/19, Mr. Montoya posted that what I'm looking for was on the backlog and referred to it as "100% cloud" and followed up on 12/4/19 that they were still investigating. I am looking for an update on this functionality. 

Our environment is just like yours. All Windows autopilot AAD joined and managed through Intune.
We just want to use the WVD to make a secure remote desktop environment available for colleagues that want t o use there own MAC Books or Chrome Books. Actually we can doe that using Intune compliancy policies but that is not the way that we are thinking about.
We want to get same user experience on all client platforms. WVD is the way we want to go but without on-prem dependency or extra online AADS services.
Lets hope that MS is really working on that -;