PS scripts to run against WVD environment for health check

Brass Contributor

Hi fellow members.

I have joined a new company and have inherited a 500+ WVD environment. 

I am going to be  working with Microsoft and /or MS partner to help troubleshooting a number of issues on our WVD environment. Its possible we may pass the support for our WVD to an external party. 

I would like to run a health check against our WVD environment and was wondering if there is a number of PowerShell scripts I can run against our environment to start gather the underlying configuration and also just be able to run a health check to determine what issues need addressing. 

Is there anything out there that I could run against the environment that could assist me and the future partner we work with, ideally I like to be in a position to understand the current setup fairly well so can have those conversations with Microsoft and/or a partner.

Many Thanks

1 Reply

@isotonic_uk 

A WVD deployment isn't a whole lot different then any other typical Remote Desktop deployment. Don't let yourself be told it's some magical beast beyond comprehension. The only difference is the Gateway and Web front-end is handled by Microsoft but other then that it's RDS /Terminal Server like we've known for over 20 years now. There are some health-checks you can do on the Gateway component managed by Microsoft, but not a whole lot. PSPing helps a bit to figure out latency or connection issues for instance.

Other then that I'd treat it like any other Azure VM infrastructure. You can monitor it just like you would other servers. Naturally you would have specific things to test because they function as Remote Desktop servers. Here, the options are too big to elaborate in this post. You can build your own monitoring and alert tools in Azure itself or opt to go 3rd party and just buy a Service monitoring software. Options galore and really up to your deployment and personal preference.