Proactively monitor ARM-based Windows Virtual Desktop with Azure Log Analytics and Azure Monitor

Microsoft

Proactively monitor ARM-based Windows Virtual Desktop with Azure Log Analytics and Azure Monitor

In this post, we’ll explain how to configure Azure Monitor with Azure Log Analytics in Microsoft Azure, so you can proactively monitor your Azure Resource Manager (ARM)-based Windows Virtual Desktop environment.

As shown in the diagram below, Azure Monitor can collect diagnostic data and operational insights from a variety of sources. You can monitor data for your workspace and virtual machine (VM) performance as well as tiered session information from your host pools, operating system and the services it relies on, and the platform itself.

By following the steps in this post, you can create a dashboard that provides access to insights about key elements of your Windows Virtual Desktop deployment, such as:

• Session details
  • Session diagnostics
  • User specific reporting
  • Session performance
  • Host performance
  • Disk performance

Read the complete article here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/proactively-monitor-arm-based-windows-vir...

2020-07-10 15_11_45-Untitled - Notepad.png

4 Replies

@Christiaan_Brinkhoff Really cool!
In WVD Fall 2019 I used "Get-RdsDiagnosticActivities" to get similar data but in the new version, this cmdlet does not exist. Do you know if we will have a new cmdlet compatible with WVD 2020?

Thanks ;)

@manuelpflx 

for the ARM version of WVD we rely fully on the much broader capabilities of Log Analytics. To just get WVD related diagnostics data, you can have a look at this article that describes the configuration:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/diagnostics-log-analytics

@Claus_Emrich 

Thanks for the info ;) 

I understand Log Analytics is powerful solution to get information about WVD but I'm asking if I can get some information that I obtained in WVD v1 with Powershell, for example, last connections. Is there any alternative that is not Log Analytics?

Regards,

@manuelpflx 

As part of the diagnostic settings, you can also write the data to an Azure storage account or stream it to an event hub.