SOLVED

Organization Best Practices

Brass Contributor

What organizational structures are you finding that works best for you?

I'm trying to use the same session host pool for multiple teams, but am having trouble deciding when to use a Workspace vs an Application Group. It looks like there are limitations where a Host Pool can only have one Workspace and an Application Pool can only be assigned to one Workspace.

Is it possible to set up something like the following? Is this even a good practice?

Example 1

Host PoolWorkspaceApplication GroupApplications
Standard1All DeptsMicrosoft OfficeWord, Excel
Standard1AccountingPayrollDoleout
Standard1AccountingAccounts PayableQuickbooks
Standard1HRRecruitingLinkedIn Manager
GPU1Graphic DesignWeb DesignersAdobe InDesign

Because of the limitations stated above, I can only get the following. This requires an additional Host Pool.

Example 2

Standard1AccountingPayroll, Accounts PayableDoleout, Word, Excel, Quickbooks
Standard2HRRecruitingLinkedIn Manager, Word, Excel
GPU1Graphic DesignWeb DesignersAdobe InDesign, Word, Excel

To limit the host pools, I could instead do the following

Example 3

Standard1Standard1Accounting Payroll, Accounting Accounts Payable, HR RecruitingDoleout, Word, Excel, Quickbooks, LinkedIn Manager
GPU1GPU1Graphic Design Web DesignersAdobe InDesign, Word, Excel

Do you see where I'm confused? I'm missing something obvious.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Anon4343 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Anon4343 I think you would need to first decide what you want to limit - do you want to limit number of hostpools? Let's say you want only 1 hostpool. Then its easy - you just have multiple appgroups with the apps you have mentioned and publish it to various user groups. The app groups will all be registered to 1 workspace - Example 3.

Let's say you are not too bothered about #hostpools but want to limit users from different departments on the same host. Then Example 2 works.

Example 1 is not feasible since all appgroups in a hostpool have to be registered to the same workspace.

Excellent! Thank you!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Anon4343 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Anon4343 I think you would need to first decide what you want to limit - do you want to limit number of hostpools? Let's say you want only 1 hostpool. Then its easy - you just have multiple appgroups with the apps you have mentioned and publish it to various user groups. The app groups will all be registered to 1 workspace - Example 3.

Let's say you are not too bothered about #hostpools but want to limit users from different departments on the same host. Then Example 2 works.

Example 1 is not feasible since all appgroups in a hostpool have to be registered to the same workspace.

View solution in original post