SOLVED

Office 365 not activating in WVD

Copper Contributor

Any user logged in to WVD is not able to activate Office 365. Tried sign out and sign in on any of the Office 365 apps and still getting license required, your admin needs to assign an Office license to this device so you can edit your file. 

OneDrive for business and Skype for business are working though.

Users have E5 license assigned with no issues activating Office 365 license on their individual computers but not in WVD.

Deleting user profiles and reboot did not help.

Any thoughts?

13 Replies
Having the same issue tbh. Been reading the 'Learn More' page but it doesn't seem to quite help fix the issue. Will watch this thread with interest!

Server 2019 or Windows 10 Multi-User @rc28 

It's Windows 10 Multi-session with O365 ProPlus from Gallery

best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @rc28, please confirm that the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration
SharedComputerLicensing = 1 value is in place.  

SharedActivation.PNG 

Assuming it is there, do your hosts have unfettered access to port 443 egress to access the Office licensing servers? 

Is multi-factor authentication in use in your tenant?  If so, the second factor authentication window can sometimes be lost in the z-order.  Hiding it under the app that you are trying to use.   

Hi @EricFromOffice, I can confirm that the registry key settings for SharedComputerLicensing is set to 1.

I did run psping to ports and URLs for activating O365 licensing and they are opened.

Also, MFA is only applied to Exchange online service.

@EricFromOffice- having the same problems

@EricFromOffice wrote:

Hi @rc28, please confirm that the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration

Assuming it is there, do your hosts have unfettered access to port 443 egress to access the Office licensing servers? 

Is multi-factor authentication in use in your tenant?  If so, the second factor authentication window can sometimes be lost in the z-order.  Hiding it under the app that you are trying to use.   

The reg key is is place for me too. There's no restrictions on 443 egress and I've disabled MFA for the user accounst affected - no changes.

I'm using Windows 10 Multi User from the Gallery.

@rc28 Exactly the same problem here.  Did you get it to work?

@Mtollex70 Appeared the issue was user did not have local admin rights...added these registry keys, rebooted, then activation appears successful

Add registry key to activate office 365 without local admin rights

New-Item -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ -Name "OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform"

New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform -Name "UserOperations" -Value 1 -PropertyType "DWord"

@Eric Liebler Appreciate a lot,  you saved my day and this fix worked.

Hi, We are in the process of creating new WVD images in our UAT environment and noticed that office (Microsoft 365 for Enterprise) does not get activated automatically. We have followed the suggestions in this post but none of them seemed to have worked.

We have followed the below steps:

1. Modified the registry value of Shared Computer Licensing to 1 on the below path:

(HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration
SharedComputerLicensing = 1)

2. Create a new registry key using the PS: 

New-Item -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ -Name "OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform"

New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform -Name "UserOperations" -Value 1 -PropertyType "DWord"

3. Additionally, followed the below blog and ran the community tool:

https://wvdlogix.net/m365troubleshooter-wvd

None of the above steps seemed to have solved the problem, please advice if there is anything else that we should look into as we are still unable to activate office (Microsoft 365 for Enterprise)

Thank you,

Thanks & Regards,

SB

I had the same problem with a customer. The solution was rolling back to a previous build of Office. The build the worked for them was 12527.21504.

Interesting, Im getting a WAM 135011 error saying the device is disabled within WVD when users try to sign into apps, but its like maybe 2-3% of my users. I've done a mixed bag of things and its subsided for some.
I made the two registry changes listed previously here. The first one was already there and the second one I did create.
However before rebooting I went to log out and had the Microsoft Teams pop up. So on a hunch I logged in to Teams. It worked. So I then reopened Word. Now it is working.
I don't know if it was the registry add on (Since I had not rebooted yet) or if it was the fact I logged into Microsoft Teams first. But it is working now.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

SharedActivation.PNG 

View solution in original post