SOLVED

How-to publish modern universal app as RemoteApp? (Edge)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hello

Trying to figure out how to publish Microsoft Edge as a remote app, has anyone had any luck?

This makes the icon show up, but nothing happens once you click it:

New-RdsRemoteApp -TenantName $myTenantName -HostPoolName $myHostPoolName -AppGroupName $myAppGroupName -Name "Microsoft Edge" -FilePath "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe" -IconPath "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe" -IconIndex "0" -Description "Microsoft Edge"

Trying the way Edge is started from command line (start microsoft-edge:) does not work:
New-RdsRemoteApp : Filepath: 'start microsoft-edge:' is invalid for RemoteAppName.

Neither does the way it's started from Start-Run (microsoft-edge:)
New-RdsRemoteApp : Filepath: 'microsoft-edge:' is invalid for RemoteAppName.

Anyone been able to make it work?

Cheers
10 Replies
Highlighted

@Ola Holtberget Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to do the same thing and haven't found any documentation or managed to get it to work.

Highlighted

I managed to get this to work...not sure if its the "right" way thou. I created a .lnk shortcut to a modern app (ie. Edge), then I used the path to the .lnk file as the Filepath and the icon at the same path you mentioned in your post.

Highlighted
Thanks for the workaround! I hope there will be a better supported way of doing it instead of using an LNK, but we use what we have untill something better comes along :)
Highlighted
Best Response confirmed by Ola Holtberget (Occasional Contributor)
Solution

This is how it was done for our internal validation

New-RdsRemoteApp $tenant1 $pool1 $appgroup2 -Name Edge -FilePath shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge -IconPath C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe
Highlighted

@Brent Carlson: Thank you for sharing your solution. We will have documentation out there shortly about publishing of modern apps and limitations.

Highlighted

Great, this seems to work. Thanks for the information.

Highlighted
Great - that worked perfectly! Thanks!
Highlighted

@Stefan Georgiev 

Perfect solution to what I was trying to achieve.

Thank-you for posting!

Ben

Highlighted

@Eva Seydl I see this was written in May. Are there any documentation out there now? If so, where? :)

Highlighted