How do we install Store apps the proper way?

Brass Contributor

Currently we have a WVD environment with Windows 10 Multi Session combined with FSLogix.

We are running into issues when trying to use the apps from the Store.

This is what we are currently trying:

1. The user opens the Store and installs an app.
  2. The app appears to be installed and usable.
  3. Once the user has signed out and has logged in again, the app has disappeared.

When we are trying this under the administrator, which is also excluded from using FSLogix profiling, it appears to keep the app installed, even after signing off and logging back in. This isn't a solution however, since the app is then only installed for the administrator.

It is still a bit unclear to us whether or not the Store apps are supported on WVD and if it is possible to distribute an app to all users (unlike what we are trying now under the specific user).

Is there any documentation on this subject perhaps?

15 Replies

@tomdw did you make any progress on this? We are experiencing exactly the same behaviour, very frustrating. 

I am making the assumption that by having FSLogix enabled the filter driver is kicking in and 'potentially' invoking some future MSIX AppAttach functionality and making the C:\program files\windowsapps folder non-persistent.

Would be great to hear if you overcome the issue. We have tried all recent variants of the FSLogix agent.

@tomdw I am also experiencing this issue. Any ideas?

@tomdw Hi, I opened a ticket with Microsoft and this is the below response:

As we spoke on the phone a few minutes ago, after my meeting on monday with WVD subject matter experts, I proceeded to raise this issue yesterday with a main FsLogix developer.

He acknowledged that this is an issue the FsLogix Team is aware of. Currently it is not possible to run Modern Apps along with FsLogix, and this is a by design behaviour as both technologies are working as expected, the problem is the compatibility between them.

This is caused by the way both technologies work. Basically Modern apps have part of the info in the base OS and part of the info in the user profile, and FsLogix seamlessly redirects user profiles. This causes problems with persistency.

When the Modern app version in the FsLogix user profile registry doesn’t match the version of Modern app running in the base OS, it doesn’t appear to be available for the user

As it seems this is the first time this issue was raised, this is not internally documented yet, there’s not a number or article confirming this I can share with you yet.

We should expect a compatibility fix from Microsoft in the form of a per-machine installation, just like with Teams and OneDrive, but there is not an estimated date for this.

So for now if you want to use UWP apps you cannot do this while using FSLogix profiles.

I do think this is crazy as UWP / Store apps are are massive part of the basic usage of the OS.

Due to this is have had to stop using FSLogix profiles in WVD and switch to traditional roaming profiles and folder re-direction.

Thanks.

Can confirm that I have discovered this too - I find it unbelievable that Windows Store apps don't work with WVD/FSLogix.

Any ideas where we can raise this issue so that it gets fixed?

+1 to the list of folks observing this problem.
This is really bad for anyone using Windows 10 Multi-Session Pooled deployments where the same profile container is used with updated host pools. The user expects to get an updated experience with the newly updated host pool an this is true for Win32 apps. But, the "Modern" store apps are whacked.

Doesn't seem so "modern".... A fix would have to entail updating the user profile hive with the new version info. That or perhaps breaking away from writing version specific info in the first place which seems like a better path.

@msft? Are you reading these posts?
Rough waters for the Flagship Azure WVD!!!

VMWare Horizon non-persistent same issues. 

Apps work for new users. When apps update themselves or through updating the MASTER image the apps stop working. Also a topic on Microsoft Q&A.

FSLogix preventing Microsoft Store Apps from loading - Microsoft Q&A

@tomdw 

Hi, I would suggest to refer to this article for more detail why UWP apps can't be installed in WVD environment: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/windows-10-multisession-faq#how-do-i-make-sur...

Why do my apps disappear after I sign out?

This happens because you're using Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session with a profile management solution like FSLogix. Your admin or profile solution configured your system to delete user profiles when users sign out. This configuration means that when your system deletes your user profile after you sign out, it also removes any apps you installed during your session. If you want to keep the apps you installed, you'll need to ask your admin to provision these apps for all users in your Windows Virtual Desktop environment.

How do I make sure apps don't disappear when users sign out?

Most virtualized environments are configured by default to prevent users from installing additional apps to their profiles. If you want to make sure an app doesn't disappear when your user signs out of Windows Virtual Desktop, you have to provision that app for all user profiles in your environment. For more information about provisioning apps, check out these resources:

@andyjia

I feel like Microsoft doesn't understand the problem statement. The use of FSLogix is very similar to a UPD scenario where the user profile is stored on a central storage location so that the profile remains available to sessions created on different hosts.
It's commonplace for the local profile to be deleted post logoff, in fact many other problems can manifest if this isnt done.

Also, it seems like Microsoft is completely ignoring the fact that these same apps work fine for new users. On that thought, you can delete an old profile container (FSLogix reference), have that user logon and these apps now work again as expected.
The problem is that the application references in the profile (stored on a network location in a .VHD(x) and mounted ad logon) are not getting updated with the new application version information, effectively creating broken app references.

This configuration is pretty much the standard configuration for organizations that deploy Azure WVD and a Pooled Session Host config.

These references to FSLogix profile containers being the problem are counter productive to one of the hottest Azure solutions these days. We're following Microsoft guidance on the deployment! Is Microsoft suggesting that we no longer use FSLogix? What would happen if this same problem could be reproduced with a UPD?

Why cant Microsoft not admit that there's a significant problem with the way that these applications (MS Store Apps) get updated in an existing profile? That is the root of this problem, not FSLogix!

@tomdw 

Greetings Community.

Why do my apps disappear after I sign out?
"This happens because you're using Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session with a profile management solution like FSLogix. Your admin or profile solution configured your system to delete user profiles when users sign out. This configuration means that when your system deletes your user profile after you sign out, it also removes any apps you installed during your session. If you want to keep the apps you installed, you'll need to ask your admin to provision these apps for all users in your Azure Virtual Desktop environment."

Citrix Virtual App:
Citrix virtual app may still have an issue. If they cannot follow the fix for AVD, they can use a workaround of reregistering the apps at each logon. This can be done with a logon script.

Windows 10 Enterprise multi-session FAQ - Azure | Microsoft Docs

At this point running the following Script will solve the issue.

Example PS Script.

$regkey = "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\InboxApplications"
$apps = Get-ChildItem -Path $regkey
ForEach($key in $apps)
{
Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register (Get-ItemProperty -Path $key.PsPath).Path
}
$regkey = "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Applications"
$apps = Get-ChildItem -Path $regkey
ForEach($key in $apps)
{
Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register (Get-ItemProperty -Path $key.PsPath).Path
}

If you are using GPO, you can create a logon script with this.

Our team is working on looking for a permanent solution for this. As soon as we have updates it will published in our Official documentation:

FSLogix Release Notes - FSLogix | Microsoft Docs

Hi Miguel
I think it would be helpful if you would write a post here as soon as there is an official fix for this issue and the documentation has been updated. Much more easier to subscribe to this thread instead of always checking the whole documentation.
What if this script doesn't do the trick anymore?? I created a new MASTER image (21H2, latest updates) but I have users who are missing apps or apps not starting, even after running this script. Blocking issue!! Fix from Microsoft needed!!

@Miguel_Gut 

Do you know of a way to make this work with apps other than the default/built-in/inbox apps? Ive tried exclusions which don't work, I see the package created on the local side and then the local_profile is deleted on logout. I've tried the script, but it does what the new version of fslogix does by default now I imagine and reconstitutes the apps in the regkey for the appxAllUserStore. 

What about users who install an app that is not one of those defaults?

Microsoft To Do is my current issue. It doesnt have an exe installer. Is there a mechanism I could force it into the default apps in an image so its in that group at least and can be re-created on sign in? 

Or another location in the hive that can be re-loaded properly on sign in that is user-specific and no the computer-wide apps?

Thanks!

Nick

We have been facing the Same Issue: Microsoft Store/Modern Apps like Snipping Tool, Calculator, Notepad, Paint etc are Greyed out and not available for use.
Users when logs in to a session Desktop and tries to open these apps it appears as Greyed out and nothing happens when clicked, Application fails to Load.
We have even tried excluding, Users from FSLogix and load with a local profile. However, no joys yet. We have a case open with MS but its stretching now, no resolution.

Please help , if any one have any Idea on how to deal with this.
I do not see any updates on this thread , is this issue resolved ?

This was finally fixed in the latest FSLogix Version. Checkout the 2nd feature in this list:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/whats-new#fslogix-2210-29836152326

"Feature: Added a new process during the sign-out phase which creates an AppX package manifest for the user. This manifest is used at sign-in to re-register the AppX applications for an improved user experience. This work is on-going as AppX packages and applications continue to evolve. The focus for this work has been on the built-in Windows apps (inbox apps)."

The config mentioned an .XML file. This file get first created after the first logoff of the user automatically when the feature is enabled. This is described in the release notes of this version only.

Config is here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/reference-configuration-settings?tabs=profiles#installappx...

And dont miss the latest patch for it as Hotfix 1 for 2210 version!