Extending/Addition of more VDIs in existing hostpool

Copper Contributor

After deploying a hostpool, can we extend or add more VDIs in that pool later on?

In a Personal/Pool based hostpool, is there an auto extension available based on demand?

Thanks,

Jasmer

2 Replies

@Jasmer you would just deploy a new Windows Virtual Desktop like you did the original and add it to the same host pool. it will be available to all users that are already in that host pool. For example I have created three different Windows Virtual Desktops using the Azure Portal, each one of them is in the same host pool because at the start of the tutorial, I simply typed the same host pool name that I created in PowerShell.

@Jasmer wrote:

After deploying a hostpool, can we extend or add more VDIs in that pool later on?

In a Personal/Pool based hostpool, is there an auto extension available based on demand?

Thanks,

Jasmer

@Jasmer 

I could achieve that in the following way.
Add Session Host: Install WVD Agent and WVD Agent Boot Loader on the target VM.
In addition, Token of HostPool is required at the time of Boot Loader installation.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/create-host-pools-powershell

# Get a Token
$RegInfo = Export-RdsRegistrationInfo -TenantName <tenantname> -HostPoolName <hostpoolname>
$isExpire = $RegInfo.ExpirationTime -lt (Get-Date)
if($isExPire){
Remove-RdsRegistrationInfo -TenantName <tenantname> -HostPoolName <hostpoolname>
$RegInfo = New-RdsRegistrationInfo -TenantName <tenantname> -HostPoolName <hostpoolname> -ExpirationHours <number of hours>
}

Extend Session Host:Change the size in Azure Portal.

It is described in the MS document.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/set-up-scaling-script

Currently, settings can not be made in Portal, and it seems to incorporate scripts into the task scheduler of session host.
You can, of course, use Azure Automation(Hybrid Runbook Worker) instead of the task scheduler,
There is no big difference between them.