SOLVED

Error deploying WVD to a subscription

Brass Contributor

I've tried three different deployments in the Azure portal for WVD.  I keep getting the same error after VM creation and domain join:

{"code":"DeploymentFailed","message":"At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-debug for usage details.","details":[{"code":"Conflict","message":"{\r\n \"status\": \"Failed\",\r\n \"error\": {\r\n \"code\": \"ResourceDeploymentFailure\",\r\n \"message\": \"The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.\",\r\n \"details\": [\r\n {\r\n \"code\": \"VMExtensionProvisioningError\",\r\n \"message\": \"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'dscextension'. Error message: \\\"DSC Configuration 'FirstSessionHost' completed with error(s). Following are the first few: PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_ScriptResource failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: One or more errors occurred. The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.\\\".\"\r\n }\r\n ]\r\n }\r\n}"}]}

Has anyone seen this?  I have tried using the AAD credentials method for tenantAdminUPN (instead of using a service principal) for all three.  Has anyone had success using this method?  Or should I just try the route of SPN instead.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

42 Replies

@jaycrumpgp @Christian_Montoya 

Ok - one last update here, and I'll quit spamming you :) .  I just did this:

- added the user who has the 'tenant creator' role to the Desktop Application Group just for a test

- tried the RDP client again, and voila...it works (still doesn't work for my regular user account)

The only difference between the two - my regular user account has MFA enabled....the TenantCreator role account does not.  Is that not supported?  Logging in as a member of the Desktop Application Group with a user account that has MFA enabled?

@Christian_Montoya 

Hi Christian - any comments on the question above?  My pool seems to let a user log in, if that user doesn't have MFA enabled.  Is that correct?  Seems like MFA wouldn't be an issue.

@Christian_Montoya- it looks like I have stumbled across the issue.  It's referenced in a different post.

I'll hold on this one, and just start following the other thread located here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Virtual-Desktop/Different-between-Windows-Virtual-Des... 

@jaycrumpgp : Yes, let's follow up on that thread.

We just hit into this error today. Any suggestions?

https://github.com/Azure/RDS-Templates/issues/238

"{"code":"DeploymentFailed","message":"At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-debug for usage details.","details":[{"code":"Conflict","message":"{\r\n \"status\": \"Failed\",\r\n \"error\": {\r\n \"code\": \"ResourceDeploymentFailure\",\r\n \"message\": \"The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.\",\r\n \"details\": [\r\n {\r\n \"code\": \"VMExtensionProvisioningError\",\r\n \"message\": \"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'dscextension'. Error message: \\\"DSC Configuration 'FirstSessionHost' completed with error(s). Following are the first few: PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_ScriptResource failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: The received access token is not valid: at least one of the claims 'puid' or 'altsecid' or 'oid' should be present. If you are accessing as application please make sure service principal is properly created in the tenant. The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.\\\".\"\r\n }\r\n ]\r\n }\r\n}"}]}"
Was this working for you previously and it just failed this time? Or are you attempting this for the first time and it's failing?

@Christian_Montoya, we are attempting this the first time.  We also created a new Host pool and re-run the ARM template. It failed with the same error. 

@Christian_Montoya, Would you be able to assist us? We urgently need to get a working ARM template to update Host pool master image.

@jaycrumpgp 

I'm seeing this today, trying to create a Windows Virtual host pool for the first time

The template deployment 'rds.wvd-provision-host-pool-20191007144940' is not valid according to the validation procedure. The tracking id is '0819cb7e-5b53-4901-87cf-a0548d9f7d4a'. See inner errors for details.

Any one who can help?

@sth_zantio : In Azure, when you try to search for Windows Virtual Desktop, can you complete the search, then choose the selection from the results. For some reason, we sometimes see 2 offerings in the Azure Gallery.

@Christian_Montoya 

Hi,

I always see 2 offerings in the gallery.

Hi again,

But I got past this issue, Now it's only joining the domain I have issues with :)

@Christian_Montoya 

Hi, Im seeing this behaviour as well now when trying to deploy a new WVD host pool through the portal:

'The template resource '_artifactsLocation' at line '91' and column '31' is not valid: The language expression property 'templateLink' doesn't exist, available properties are 'template, templateHash, parameters, mode, debugSetting, provisioningState'.

Has there been a change? This has been working well up until today.

Thanks 

Hello,

Same problem on my side:

statusMessage : {"error":{"code":"InvalidTemplate","message":"Deployment template validation failed: 'The template resource '_artifactsLocation' at line '1' and column '1840' is not valid: The language expression property 'templateLink' doesn't exist, available properties are 'template,
templateHash, parameters, mode, debugSetting, provisioningState'.. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-template-expressions for usage details.'.","additionalInfo":[{"type":"TemplateViolation","info":{"lineNumber":1,"linePosition":1840,"path":"properties.template.parameters._artifactsLocation"}}]}}

Florent

EDIT: I deployed it from the template directly: https://github.com/Azure/RDS-Templates/tree/master/wvd-templates/Create%20and%20provision%20WVD%20ho... And it works fine.

@toby skerritt I'm running into the same error this morning, trying to deploy a host pool through the portal:

Deployment template validation failed: 'The template resource '_artifactsLocation' at line '109' and column '31' is not valid: The language expression property 'templateLink' doesn't exist, available properties are 'template, templateHash, parameters, mode, debugSetting, provisioningState'

@toby skerritt Same problem here, and because i have to produce something to show i tried a gallery image, same problem.

I have been working with wvd for the last couple of weeks and i have to say you need a lot of patience, looks like microsoft is constant testing in production.

Usually it works again after a couple of hours sometimes days.

Deployment template validation failed: 'The template resource '_artifactsLocation' at line '106' and column '31' is not valid: The language expression property 'templateLink' doesn't exist, available properties are 'template, templateHash, parameters, mode, debugSetting, provisioningState'.. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-template-expressions for usage details.'.

Thanks - yes the template works for me also. This hard codes the _artifacts location

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Azure/RDS-Templates/master/wvd-templates/Create%20and%20provision%...

The failing marketplace task uses the templatelink.uri:
[deployment().properties.templateLink.uri]

@toby skerritt @STJimmy @AmySfakios @Flodu31 : As you all mentioned, yes, we are hitting an issue with the Azure Marketplace offering. We're attempting to mitigate as we also root-cause.

@Christian_MontoyaIts working again, thanks

Edit, now its not, same problem again, any estimate on how long it will take to fix this?

I have a presentation tomorrow for a company that wants to use wvd, if these kind of errors keep showing up i have a hard time selling it

@STJimmy 

I'm also having issues since this morning

The template deployment 'rds.wvd-provision-host-pool-20191029104810' is not valid according to the validation procedure. The tracking id is 'd5e8b46b-bf7a-4209-bd8d-901faaa93e28'. See inner errors for details.

Is this a global issue? Yesterday I could deploy with no problems

Also have issues when deploying with ARM template Github