Azure VDI - Windows Virtual Desktop - Provision a host pool

Copper Contributor

Hi, I´m trying to deploy the new VDI in Azure - when i create the "Windows Virtual Desktop - Provision a host pool" i got the following error:

OPERATION ID B19D3469A530441B TRACKING ID f128aaf1-a3ff-4538-b479-cfddcc07a082 STATUS Conflict STATUS MESSAGE { "status": "Failed", "error": { "code": "ResourceDeploymentFailure", "message": "The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.", "details": [ { "code": "VMExtensionProvisioningError", "message": "VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'dscextension'. Error message: \"DSC Configuration 'FirstSessionHost' completed with error(s). Following are the first few: PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_ScriptResource failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: User is not authorized to query the management service.\nActivityId: cc06c8e9-24a8-4852-ab04-f4696f9b5994\nPowershell commands to diagnose the failure:\nGet-RdsDiagnosticActivities -ActivityId cc06c8e9-24a8-4852-ab04-f4696f9b5994\n The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.\"." } ] } } PROVISIONING STATE Failed TIMESTAMP 29.3.2019 19.55.23 DURATION 9 minutes 32 seconds TYPE Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/extensions RESOURCE ID /subscriptions/cf2720dc-a5c0-4eec-b844-0da2b09cf084/resourceGroups/VDI/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/win10vdi-0-0/extensions/dscextension RESOURCE

• <label class="ext-hubs-deploymentoperation-label" data-bind="text: label" style="font-weight:inherit;text-transform:uppercase;max-width:100%;width:auto;text-display:inline-block;">OPERATION ID</label>

B19D3469A530441B
  • <label class="ext-hubs-deploymentoperation-label" data-bind="text: label" style="font-weight:inherit;text-transform:uppercase;max-width:100%;width:auto;text-display:inline-block;">TRACKING ID</label>

f128aaf1-a3ff-4538-b479-cfddcc07a082
  • <label class="ext-hubs-deploymentoperation-label" data-bind="text: label" style="font-weight:inherit;text-transform:uppercase;max-width:100%;width:auto;text-display:inline-block;">STATUS</label>

Conflict
  • <label class="ext-hubs-deploymentoperation-label" data-bind="text: label" style="font-weight:inherit;text-transform:uppercase;max-width:100%;width:auto;text-display:inline-block;">STATUS MESSAGE</label>

{ "status": "Failed", "error": { "code": "ResourceDeploymentFailure", "message": "The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.", "details": [ { "code": "VMExtensionProvisioningError", "message": "VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'dscextension'. Error message: \"DSC Configuration 'FirstSessionHost' completed with error(s). Following are the first few: PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_ScriptResource failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: User is not authorized to query the management service.\nActivityId: cc06c8e9-24a8-4852-ab04-f4696f9b5994\nPowershell commands to diagnose the failure:\nGet-RdsDiagnosticActivities -ActivityId cc06c8e9-24a8-4852-ab04-f4696f9b5994\n The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.\"." } ] } }
  • <label class="ext-hubs-deploymentoperation-label" data-bind="text: label" style="font-weight:inherit;text-transform:uppercase;max-width:100%;width:auto;text-display:inline-block;">PROVISIONING STATE</label>

Failed
  • <label class="ext-hubs-deploymentoperation-label" data-bind="text: label" style="font-weight:inherit;text-transform:uppercase;max-width:100%;width:auto;text-display:inline-block;">TIMESTAMP</label>

29.3.2019 19.55.23
  • <label class="ext-hubs-deploymentoperation-label" data-bind="text: label" style="font-weight:inherit;text-transform:uppercase;max-width:100%;width:auto;text-display:inline-block;">DURATION</label>

9 minutes 32 seconds
  • <label class="ext-hubs-deploymentoperation-label" data-bind="text: label" style="font-weight:inherit;text-transform:uppercase;max-width:100%;width:auto;text-display:inline-block;">TYPE</label>

Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/extensions
  • <label class="ext-hubs-deploymentoperation-label" data-bind="text: label" style="font-weight:inherit;text-transform:uppercase;max-width:100%;width:auto;text-display:inline-block;">RESOURCE ID</label>

/subscriptions/cf2720dc-a5c0-4eec-b844-0da2b09cf084/resourceGroups/VDI/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/win10vdi-0-0/extensions/dscextension
  • <label class="ext-hubs-deploymentoperation-label" data-bind="text: label" style="font-weight:inherit;text-transform:uppercase;max-width:100%;width:auto;text-display:inline-block;">RESOURCE</label>

win10vdi-0-0/dscextension

------------------------------

I can see that the win10 mashine is member of the domain - but cant find anything about this error.

Can someone help me with this?

/Lars

20 Replies

@Tim Settar 

Hi.

Yes, but i get the followint error:

New-RdsHostPool : User is not authorized to query the management service.

--------------------------

New-RdsHostPool : User is not authorized to query the management service.

ActivityId: a594a76f-3729-40b3-bdd3-bf956949c996

Powershell commands to diagnose the failure:

Get-RdsDiagnosticActivities -ActivityId a594a76f-3729-40b3-bdd3-bf956949c996

At line:1 char:1

+ New-RdsHostPool `

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : FromStdErr: (Microsoft.RDInf....NewRdsHostPool:NewRdsHostPool) [New-RdsHostPool], RdsPow

erShellException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccess,Microsoft.RDInfra.RDPowershell.HostPool.NewRdsHostPool

--------------------------------------------

Have someone the solution for this error?

@Thobiasen Hi, do you have any solution for this problem: VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'dscextension' ?

Thank you,

Cristian

@Thobiasen Guys im also getting same error, "User is not authorized to query the management service" were you able to fix it?

@nippyin For me it worked when I used the same user (wvd.admin@) everywhere : WVD tenant creation, VM host user, joining the VM host to domain. It must be Global administrator AAD, Virtual Desktop TenantCreator.

@cristiansefciuc Somehow it worked for me too, I deleted the existing resource group and started from scratch. Thanks for your input though!

@cristiansefciuc wrote:

@nippyin For me it worked when I used the same user (wvd.admin@) everywhere : WVD tenant creation, VM host user, joining the VM host to domain. It must be Global administrator AAD, Virtual Desktop TenantCreator.

@cristiansefciuc wrote:

@cristiansefciuc 

Is your domain controller synced up to Azure AD?

No, is only Azure AD.

So you used wvd@admin are you talking about using the administrator@domain.com @nippyin 

Im trying to figure out what you guys used to get past this .. thanks@nippyin 

Yes, I used an user that is Azure global administrator (with no MFA).

I used a user with no MFA and a Global Administrator and a owner on the subscription with Tenant Creator and a local user and I still get the error @cristiansefciuc 

What error exactly? when processing extension 'dscextension' ?

Yes I actually went through the process of creating a service principal and it is still failing on me@cristiansefciuc 

This option (with the service principal) didn't worked for me too. You must choose/enter your "super user" credentials everywhere.

Weird thing is the user i am using is a Global Admin, Tenant Owner, and Subscription owner and still fails at that spot @cristiansefciuc 

Use the same UPN for the tenant RDS Owner (see the attached image)

I have been doing that also fully created tenant and all in powershell per recommendation

@cristiansefciuc 

Sorry, that's all I have done :(