WUFB Deadlines

Iron Contributor

Hi, I wanted to know the real definition/behavior for quality update deadlines.

Let's say we set it to 2days. For already WUFB managed, I understand it means the devices will reboot two days after the end of the deferal

But lets say I add an existing sccm managed device into co-management for WUFB, 10days after patch Tuesday, if there's no grace period set, will the device start to see the update right away, since it's past the 2 days deadline or will it still wait for the 2 days  (meaning the deadline starts when the device sees that it has an update to install?

Thank you in advance and don't hesitate if you have any questions. 

3 Replies

@lalanc01 for Quality Update deadline starts countdown from the time of calculated "offering" (aka when would have the update first been offered to the device based on Quality Update deferral policy and Quality Update pause). Grace period starts countdown from time of reboot pending.

Behavior: The Device will try to download and install at a convenient time based on the update stacks determination. Once pending reboot is reached the device tries to update outside of active hours by notifying the end user, once effective deadline is reached (calculated as the max of (QU offering date + deadline, reboot pending + grace period) it tries to update during active hours and a device is forced to reboot once the deadline has been reached. Note, if the device has not completed download/install when the deadlines has mostly elapsed they will happen as quickly as possible. 

Does this help to answer your question? As you can see from the above Grace period is really almost never used outside of cases when the device was offline (such as a vacation) for a duration after the update was supposed to be offered.

Hi Aria,

I have similar question like lalanc01 and I was part of the WCCP WUfB Neighborhood in Teams that you organized. Do you have explanation for Deadline and Grace Period? I noticed that when I put the Deadline of 2 day and Grace Period of 0 days. After MS released a new patch and it installed on my machine will prompt with 2 days (instead of 0 days) until auto restart. Then what is the function of grace period in here?
Grace period is used when someone is back from vacation so it gives an extra X days for the reboot to happen so the user isn't forced to reboot right away.

Here's what the doc says:
For feature updates, the deadline and grace period start their countdown from the time of a pending restart after the installation is complete. As soon as installation is complete and the device reaches pending restart, the device will try to update outside of active hours. Once the effective deadline is reached, the device will try to restart during active hours. (The effective deadline is whichever is the later of the restart pending date plus the specified deadline or the restart pending date plus the grace period.)

For quality updates, the deadline countdown starts from the time the update is offered (not downloaded or installed). The grace period countdown starts from the time of the pending restart. The device will try to download and install the update at a time based on your other download and installation policies (the default is to automatically download and install in in the background). When the pending restart time is reached, the device will notify the user and try to update outside of active hours. Once the effective deadline is reached, the device will try to restart during active hours.