SOLVED

Windows firewall logs on the endpoint.

Brass Contributor

I was ran into an issue of the firewall blocking traffic but not reporting it in Microsoft Defender. When I went to turn on windows logging it was block by administrator. How to Track Firewall Activity with the Windows Firewall Log (howtogeek.com) I took a guess it was the firewall and disabled the rules. Where do I find this information when troubleshooting on the endpoint? 

6 Replies
Firewall events should be in the security event log if it has been turned on
Local users don't have rights to view the security log.

@Fish_Tacos When you go into the Firewall Logging section are the logs enabled and is "Log dropped packets;" configured to yes?

Rick_Munck_0-1614790932128.png

@Rick_Munck Shouldn't I get a pop up or alert when an application is blocked? See Screenshot. 

best response confirmed by Fish_Tacos (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Fish_Tacos you should but it also depends on the type of block and the app in question.  You will need to look in the log I mentioned above to determine the block but by default it will not log dropped packets so you might have to step through it again to get it captured.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Fish_Tacos (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Fish_Tacos you should but it also depends on the type of block and the app in question.  You will need to look in the log I mentioned above to determine the block but by default it will not log dropped packets so you might have to step through it again to get it captured.

View solution in original post