SOLVED

Windows 10 ML build upgrade by Task Sequence

Brass Contributor

Hi, do you have difficulties to manage build upgrades by SCCM TS with Multilanguage OS? I found only this interesting post but I have not had great satisfaction... do you know if there is a smarter/easy method?
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/configuration-manager-archive/how-to-upgrade-windows-clients-...

Many Thanks

10 Replies

@Stefano_Nieri this is a great question. I have difficulty fully understanding how to support MUI Windows 10 bare metal OSD, let alone supporting task sequence driven IPU. The usual show stopper for some (not all) IPU runs is the InstallLanguage reg key and using en-US media.

I have a procedure like this:
1. Don't include LPs into wim but install them in Deploy Task Sequence after WinPE, during OSPhase. (This way you avoid turning all system to custom language and not being EN-US anymore)
2. Add GPO Registry value to Users to desired language format, so the language will change during user logon and only for that user only.

Thanks. What GPO registry value?

@Stefano_Nieri 

Check this out, we have our roadmap for this scenario here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/fod-and-lang-packs 

I support 18 languages and unfortunately we do apply the language packs during the build phase so they need need individual language OS images to service.  We use David Segura's https://osdbuilder.osdeploy.com/ to inject the language pack and newest update and create an individual OS image.  We add each image to the TS with conditions on the language installed.  CM will not download the OS image that does not match the PC in the pre-cache download, so we do not need to worry about sending out over the internet.

I had originally written a post on this prior to using the OSDBuilder tool. https://configgirl.com/2019/06/17/how-to-create-a-windows-10-task-sequence-to-install-language-packs...

Ciao @codaamok, for the bare metal deployment I also had difficulties but I just published a post that maybe can help you... let me know ;)
https://stefanonieri.wordpress.com/2020/04/18/windows-10-multi-language-task-sequence-deployment/
best response confirmed by Heather Poulsen (Community Manager)
Solution

@Dawn M Wertz @Stefano_Nieri Managing multiple language images are hard especially when the devices are not internet connected during a feature update. We did a few blog posts \ ignite talks on this topic. 

If devices get the feature updates from Windows Update or Windows Update for Business the right things happen. In case, you have to use media, your media has to match the device settings first and then leverage dynamic updates to bring down the additional content needed to preserve LPs \ FODs across the feature update. 

There are multiple blog posts \ ignite talks about the various complexities for additional details.  

Any time your media already has a cumulative update installed, installing a language pack requires you to reinstall the cumulative update. More details in this blog post \ talk. 

Please let us know if these help or if there are other issues you run into. 

@Sudhagar Thirumoolan 

I can confirm this is true:
"Any time your media already has a cumulative update installed, installing a language pack requires you to reinstall the cumulative update. " 

Due to our small number of users that require a language pack, we slip the CAB file in during IPU (/InstallLangPacks), then apply the FODs once back in the full OS. On machines we do that, we also run the "Install Software Updates" Step, since we don't want the CU to have to re-apply after the upgrade task sequence is complete.

The experience is the same with several capabilities that get enabled / installed post upgrade, the CU needs to be re-applied.   Not a big deal when you can account for it in the TS so it's handled before you hand the computer back to the end user.

@codaamok 

HiveHKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key pathControl Panel\Desktop
Value namePreferredUILanguages
Value typeREG_MULTI_SZ

Line Value

1fi-FI
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Heather Poulsen (Community Manager)
Solution

@Dawn M Wertz @Stefano_Nieri Managing multiple language images are hard especially when the devices are not internet connected during a feature update. We did a few blog posts \ ignite talks on this topic. 

If devices get the feature updates from Windows Update or Windows Update for Business the right things happen. In case, you have to use media, your media has to match the device settings first and then leverage dynamic updates to bring down the additional content needed to preserve LPs \ FODs across the feature update. 

There are multiple blog posts \ ignite talks about the various complexities for additional details.  

Any time your media already has a cumulative update installed, installing a language pack requires you to reinstall the cumulative update. More details in this blog post \ talk. 

Please let us know if these help or if there are other issues you run into. 

View solution in original post