SOLVED

Why have all Microsoft download links for wushowhide.diagcab been broken for many months?

Iron Contributor

This important Windows Update troubleshooter is the recommended solution in many Windows support articles, but for some hidden reason Microsoft have made it impossible to obtain.

21 Replies
Hi Bruce, Thanks for your question, here's the general process. Does this help? Select Start Windows logo Start button > Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > Update & Security Circular arrows Sync icon > Troubleshoot. Next. Hope this helps, -Kevin
No, that doesn't help at all.

I'm specifically asking about the tool in the subject line to hide and prevent reinstallation of a driver update or Windows update.

E.G. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/53184.show-or-hide-updates-utility-fixin...

If it's gone forever, please could someone at Microsoft have the decency to explain why, and tell Bing it's buried: https://www.bing.com/search?&q=Hide+Windows+Updates+or+driver+updates

Is that it? I regret wasting my time.

"Get answers to any questions you may have"

More like, "You've got questions, we've got shrugs."

Does not help. Microsoft used to provide a tool to hide updates and several months ago it was removed without any communication to anyone as to why it was removed.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-hide-updates-tool-wushowhide-diagcab

1. Why was it removed?
2. Will there be a replacement tool?
Hi, Bruce, let me look into this for you. There were some files which were removed due to the SHA-1 signing removal process. Let me check the status. I appreciate your patience.
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/m3mc63/so_wheres_the_show_or_hide_updates_troubleshooter/ "So, I'm trying to prevent those specific updates from reinstalling using Microsoft's own tool they mention here and here, but the download link 404s from both.

Seriously, it's just gone. Good job, Microsoft. I guess they really didn't like how many people decided they needed to use their Kyoceras today."
Thank you all for your patience. The troubleshooter was initially removed as part of our SHA-1 deprecation, where we removed all content on the DLC which had only SHA-1 signing. We are working to re-sign this with a SHA-2 certificate and verify that it works as expected, and will re-publish. I will follow up again shortly.
best response confirmed by Bruce Roberts (Iron Contributor)
Solution
The troubleshooter has been re-signed with a SHA-2 cert and has been republished. Thank you for your patience. As for the remaining list, I don’t have anything to add at this time but will check if there are plans to resign those.
Thx for letting us know it's been updated to SHA-2.

Does anyone have the new Microsoft page download link to share for: wushowhide.diagcab now?

Many thanks!

♥♥♥ Thank you sir!
P.S. Razer mouse & keyboard drivers are like warts in your system - even cleaning out registry files doesn't help and MS Update just keeps trying to install those old drivers "forever". LUL

By the way, I have an enhancement request for Microsoft... 

in the "Optional Updates" window, there should be a "check box" next to each individual item where we can check (don't show this again) and have that feature do whatever magic the wushowhide.diagcab file does.

It really bugs me when I see these "Tech Community Boards" and there's ALWAYS somebody like you who's quick to jump on the chance to be the first person to provide the most generic answer possible. "Is your computer plugged in?" "Did you try unplugging your modem?" crap like that. In this case you didn't even have the generic decency to try a simple search regarding "WuShowHide.diagcab" which is in fact a very well known tool. It's why I'm here.

From what I understand, Microsoft may have released a digitally signed version of this tool. I learned of this from the comment section of (https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wushowhide.html) which is where you can get WuShowHide. Which is what brings me to this page. I was searching microsoft.com for this newer version (if it exists).

You should keep your answers to yourself if you aren't even going to make the laziest effort to at least search what he was talking about. Your answer isn't even close and that can be seen in the response Bruce gives. He was probably surprised that somebody would give an answer completely omitting any information regarding he object he listed in his question. He may have been surprised, but I wasn't. I see this all the time. Your kind must earn their merits by the quantity of answers given rather than the quality of them.
I dunno if this helps or not but the place that I got mine from was MagorGeeks. However, I saw in the comment section of that site, somebody talking about MS having released a newer one with a new 2021 Sha256 Digital Signature. This might have something to do with MS memo that I read stating that SHA-1 is soon to be retired (which is in fact the format of the older version at MajorGeeks)

Old version
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wushowhide.html

Sha256 Version
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-you-download-wushowhidediagcab/c53dc5...

There's something wrong here.
On Win11 there's no way to stop a particular driver update that should not be installed.
In my case it's an AMD graphic driver not compatible with Adrenaline graphic management software the same AMD provides.
Wushowhide.diagcab is blocked, even if its link is available on the Microsoft sites you all mentioned.
The process of updating (Solarwind docet) is a particularly sensitive and vulnerable one.
Therefore, "social.technet.microsoft.com" should be removed or updated with meaningful content.
Graphically, it looks abandoned.
And, notoriously, "social.technet" has been replaced with "techcommunity" where this post is published.
The problem in subject remains open, and users and IT operators should underline it in any available feedback space Microsoft provides.

@Bruce Roberts @Jason Leznek  I just would like to state my support for this feature (:cool:btw at best only 0.1% of affected users would waste time to do this mind you) due to the fact that I have an older Laptop, top of the line back then 10yrs+ ago. Which did cost a fortune BUT the fact I can still use it comfortably today says it's a worthy investment. The looks of the laptop is still relevant today, as well and there is no problems EXCEPT older generation hardware.

Which brings the issues to DRIVERS SUPPORT! You see my OLD Hardware's driver(laptop/mobile version) is no longer updated by the manufacturer (VERY COMMON issue here~!) but it can still do its job and purpose VERY comfortably even to this day.

Now in order to use the hardware with certain applications, it needs to be in specific driver version (Desktop version - but I got the laptop version). I researched and got around that problem and implemented it, I never had any problems until windows DECIDED for me and harass me with THEIR driver version, which availability is appreciated, BUT unfortunately kinda FORCED. Every couple of days it wants me to Update and when I did... The applications that I use daily WILL NOT WORK. until I roll back or uninstall to reinstall the specific hardware driver for this specific laptop.  See the problem now??

I would like to keep having the ability to ONLY SELECT specific device DRIVER update to be offered. Once I consciously and manually UNTICK/UNSELECT something it should be OPTIONAL in the future. I mean I can and would actually be better to go to the official hardware manufacturer's website for their latest driver (if still supported) anyway isn't it?... a simple reminder would do the trick for most ppl.  

My time and work is not about upgrading windows and drivers every couple of days! This is not why I purchased and become a customer of Windows 10 :xd:

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Bruce Roberts (Iron Contributor)
Solution
The troubleshooter has been re-signed with a SHA-2 cert and has been republished. Thank you for your patience. As for the remaining list, I don’t have anything to add at this time but will check if there are plans to resign those.

View solution in original post