Specify a date for update enforcement instead of number of days for CUs and FUs in WUFB

Brass Contributor

Hi, would it be possible to have the possibility to specify a date for update enforcement instead of number of days for CUs and FUs in WUFB.

I get that some companies have the option to enforce updates xdays after they have been published (even if released after patch Sunday), but this is not the case for us as we have maintenance plans for the last Sunday of the month at 9pm.

WUFB doesn't have any options to do that and we also don't want to have patches installed outside of this maintenance (unless the user initiates it) and with patches sometimes being released after patch Sunday, the number of days before installing the patches would result in force reboots outside of this maintenance.

Thank you in advance and don't hesitate if you have any questions.

5 Replies

@Stephane Lalancette thank you for reaching out! I'd love to understand a bit more. If you are always patching on a specific day, wouldn't specifying a number of days always result on updating on a specific date? Are you looking to specify a specific DD/MM/YYYY?  Thank you for your feedback.

Hi @Aria Carley thks for reaching out.

We patch on the last Sunday of the month, so in relation to patch Tuesday, the number of days is never the same,  like this month it's 12 days (Oct 13 to 25th) in November it will be 19days (10th to the 29th)

It always needs to be the last Sunday of the month. This is where we enforce the patches on all workstations that haven't already done it themselves.

Does that help better understand what we're doing?

Don't hesitate if you have other questions.

@Stephane Lalancette thank you for clarifying, that helps! :) 

So, basically, you deploy the updates in waves after patch Tuesday and then want to force all devices that haven't finished download/install/restart to do so by the last Sunday of the month - is that correct?

One question, given the current capabilities, how do you feel about given that while the dates change the number of days between the 2nd Tuesday and the 4th Sunday of the month do not change. Therefore you can defer to ensure the update goes out on a specific day and then provide a deadline to ensure the update is forced by that Sunday? 

Hi @Aria Carley when you say :
, how do you feel about given that while the dates change the number of days between the 2nd Tuesday and the 4th Sunday of the month do not change

The number of days is different each month. Like I wrote earlier:

This month it's 12 days (Oct 13 to 25th) in November it will be 19days (Nov 10th to Nov 29th)

@Stephane Lalancette ah, apologies, I conflated 4th Sunday and last Sunday. That makes sense, then unfortunately, there are no workarounds with the current policies. 

I will take this feature request and see how we can improve WUfB to better meet your needs in the future. Thank you again for your feedback! :)