SOLVED

Retaining Removed Pre-Provisioned AppX Packages Across Feature Updates

Copper Contributor

We are testing out using Servicing Plans within ConfigMgr, and upon rolling our first 1703 Feauture Update, we have discovered that all the AppX packages we removed from our 1607 builds seemed to have returned.  I thought I had read somewhere that starting with 1703, it would not reinstall what was removed.  Is this not the case?  This is truly frustrating from an Enterprise customer perspective.  We have no plans to roll out Xbox, or need the Get Office app as we already have office.  We can remove them again using required standing deployments with ConfigMgr, but we should not have to.  

9 Replies
I would also be interested in hearing what Microsoft has to say about this...
best response confirmed by Nathan Mercer (Steel Contributor)
Solution

After upgrading to Windows 10, v1703 in-box apps that were uninstalled by the user won't automatically reinstall as part of the Feature Update installation process. (Apps de-provisioned by IT administrators will still be reinstalled, this is expected to be addressed in the next Feature Update)

Nathan,

Thanks for the response.  Glad it is being addressed.  Have to say I'm surprised it wasn't addressed for enterprise customers first, or at least at the same time.  I'm really glad we haven't rolled out to more users yet as this is a pain to clean up.

you don't need to wait. you could workaround this now by using a post install action from SetupConfig.ini or modifying the install.wim with Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2016/08/23/windows-10-1607-keeping-apps-from-coming-bac...

Nathan,

I'm already removing them as part of the task sequence for new builds.  The issue is with Feature Updates.  These are just installed as an update.  I have written two scripts to clean this up.  One machine script that will run after the FU to remove them from the system, and another user based in case someone logs on before the system script runs.  Pretty ugly.  Looking forward to not having to do this for 1709.

you can also remove the unwanted apps in the install.wim directly, so just mount the wim and run the PowerShell against the mounted wim. The newly created wim can be used in new installations and upgrade sequences, so you have a consisten configuration.

Sigurd,

Thanks, I am aware and do that today.  My post is around the Feature Update (patch) that is pushed, not new installs.  It sounds like the fix is coming in 1709.

Eddie

Hey Eddie, we apply the feature update via ConfigManager update task sequence and are using the same customized wim for the update as for new installation (we still face to many issues after just applying the feature update: missing .net 3.5; language packs, Office needs to be repaired,...)

Are you referring to an "upgrade task sequence"?  If so this is different than what I am referring to.  I am talking about when you are on a version of Win10, say 1607, and you are going to 1703 using servicing plans.

SvcPlan.pngFeatureUpdate.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Nathan Mercer (Steel Contributor)
Solution

After upgrading to Windows 10, v1703 in-box apps that were uninstalled by the user won't automatically reinstall as part of the Feature Update installation process. (Apps de-provisioned by IT administrators will still be reinstalled, this is expected to be addressed in the next Feature Update)

View solution in original post