Reserve Manager enabled with Low Disk Space block

Iron Contributor

Hi Servicing Gurus

We are starting to plan to upgrade our fleet from 1909 to 20H2 using WUfB. From the Log Analytics I am finding the a decent number of our workstations are blocked with safeguard hold ID 29745406. Looking through the Appraiser Data, this seems to be caused by the system drive have less than 30GB free and SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ReserveManager\PassedPolicy being set to 1 (meaning that reserved storage is enabled).

Other computers that we have piloted the upgrade to that have low free disk have prompted the user to perform a disk cleanup or connect an external hard drive, but with this block they are not offered the update at all. I have enabled the "Disable safeguards for Feature Updates" policy on a test machine and it was able to complete the upgrade fine without any apparent issue.

I thought one of the major benefits of reserved storage would be the ability for Feature Updates to be able to be work more successfully because it could reclaim disk space from the reserved storage. But it seems the way the block is set up it is preventing it completely?

Is there an issue with Reserved Storage and upgrades at the moment that Microsoft is currently blocking the upgrades for? Or is there a problem here?

Thanks

2 Replies

@AndrewT thanks for sharing your feedback! Did you end up submitting feedback in Feedback Hub or to customer support / your account manager? 

I have passed along this feedback as well. Hopefully you are no longer hitting this issue! 

Thanks for replying Aria. I didn't submit this issue anywhere else. 11% of our Windows 10 fleet are still showing as blocked by this safeguard hold for the 1909 to 20H2 upgrade according to Update Insights.

I am just working through upgrading our other machines for now. If the hold is still in place in a couple of months once I'm finished I can still work around the issue by disabling reserved storage which should release the hold.

It still would be great to have it listed on the release health dashboard!