Office Hours - WUfB - Device idle and Restart Checks

Copper Contributor

There is some confusion around what allowing Restart Checks does.  I believe if Restart checks are allowed, then reboots are NOT allowed to occur while:

• User is not active
  • User is not in a phone call
  • Device is on battery (if ≥40%)
  • Device is not in presentation mode
  • Device is not in gaming mode

What would non active or idle mean? If the device is a monitoring station, displaying data but no human is moving the mouse or touching keys, is that idle? If Restart Checks is skipped would that mean the device MUST be plugged-in in order to reboot? Are Active Hours not respected is Restart Checks are skipped?

My understanding is that Restart Checks was a normal part of WUfB but the skip functionality was put in specifically for the Educational market for Cart PCs?  Why were Restart Checks needing to be skipped for Cart PCs?

8 Replies
I'd recommend against configuring this in Intune. To be honest, restart checks is really only for education cart PCs, but even then it can result in poor compliance and behavior. @David Guyer please feel free to chime in with more info.
One Note: By Default -
40%battery or plugged in, not in presentation mode, etc. are all things we check by default before restarting. We will not automatically restart if the device doesn't meet those normal requirements.
To be clear, are you saying to ALLOW or to SKIP Restart Checks for non-cart PCs?
and when you say "by default" this is with Restart Checks allowed? Would restart checks skipped change this behavior?
This is without you configuring anything in Intune (so just use the default which yes is allow).
Got it. So would I ever want to skip Restart Checks for any shared devices or kiosk devices? Why was this setting created for Cart PCs?
Nope. I wouldn't. This setting was designed specifically to allow cart devices to restart when on the cart overnight. It dramatically hurts compliance. For Kiosk, I would simply remove the notifications and then allow automatic updates to work as expected or just do schedule install time.
Got it. Thank you. For Automatic Update Behavior for shared devices, would you recommend "Auto install and reboot without end-user control", or "Reset to Default"?