Driver missing after 1703 -> 1709

Brass Contributor

I have several laptop models of HP, Fujitsu and Lenovo. I started to test 1709 via SCCM SUP Servicing, and at least 1 model has one unknown device in device manager after the upgrade. These issues were arised with earlier builds too, but I´m waiting In-Place Upgrade gets better and better. Still, it seems we need to do In-Place upgrade with Task Sequence, handeling drivers as well, instead of using Servicing. Configuring TS in project implementations cost money, Servicing does not.

Any chance Microsoft will fix these issues with drivers?

1 Reply
Hi! In this case there could be that 1709 isn't SAC-B yet, and therefore your hardware vendors (and/or Microsoft) may not yet have released a supported version of the driver. Usually it should keep drivers when using servicing (or in-place in general) but in some cases a driver may be considered non-supported and therefore gets remove. If the devices are of a newer model I'm sure a fix will be released, but probably not until 1709 is declared SAC-B. It would help if you could share the model you are having issues with to aid others.

Also, on a side note. I myself prefer servicing as the first alternative, but "everyone" will run into situations where a Task Sequence will be the best alternative when moving from build to build. Your Windows Servicing process should be able to handle both in my opinion.