18 months or 15 months in Semi-annual (Broad)

Iron Contributor

Office 365 ProPlus is supposed to get its first Semi-annual (Broad) version in Jan. 2018, and that version will be supported until Mar. 2019. That's 15 months, not 18. My guess is that they are counting from when the version appeared in the Semi-annual (Pilot) Channel.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Overview-of-the-upcoming-changes-to-Office-365-ProPlus-upda...

Is that what the Windows team means when they say a version is supported for 18 months? Three months in Semi-annual (Pilot), and 15 in Semi-annual (Broad)?

2 Replies

Hi @Rob Helm , I'm going to quote Michael Niehaus : 

@michael Neihaus wrote:

.. So let me answer that in two different ways, "old" vs. "new" terms:

• New Windows 10 releases are initially considered "Current Branch" releases, to be used for piloting. After a period of about four months, we'll declare the release as a "Current Branch for Business" release, ready for broad deployment.
  • New Windows 10 releases in the Semi-Annual Channel are initially to be used for pilot deployments.  After about four months, we'll declare that the release is ready for broad deployment.

Regardless of the terms, the 18 months is for the release, e.g. Windows 10 1703, and that 18 months starts from the date that it was released.

Emphasis is one the last part. Windows has releases. Support starts with a release of a new version.

I hope that makes sense.