Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Windows Server RSAT 16250 tools blocked by smartscreen on Windows 10 IP Build 16257

Copper Contributor

I've downloaded the remote support tools for Windows Server Insider Preview 16257 as linked in the notice (Windows_InsiderPreview_RSAT_X64_16250.msu) and found that I am always blocked by SmartScreen when trying to install. The only options I get are Don't Run, and More Info, the latter which does nothing when clicked. 

My workstation is running Windows 10 Insider Preview 16257. 

I have successfully managed to install it, only after having deleted the :Zone.Identifier.$DATA alternate datastream.

Is there a failure somewhere in the deployment chain that has prevented smartscreen from knowing about this toolset? 

1 Reply

I had to turn off smartscreen to try to install it, but it fails everytime.

I cant get to build 16257 though Upgrade Fails everytime since 16241 so thats why I can;t get the RSAT To work. I have been troubleshooting this upgrade failure along with failure and error messages of Windows Defender Application Guard, lots of problems in this build for me, but not related to the server so it doesn;t belong here.  I Just wanted to say that you could probably disable smartscreen temporarily in the Windows Defender Security Center if you don't have any policies preventing that.

@Mark Dickman wrote:

I've downloaded the remote support tools for Windows Server Insider Preview 16257 as linked in the notice (Windows_InsiderPreview_RSAT_X64_16250.msu) and found that I am always blocked by SmartScreen when trying to install. The only options I get are Don't Run, and More Info, the latter which does nothing when clicked. 

I have successfully managed to install it, only after having deleted the :Zone.Identifier.$DATA alternate datastream.

Is there a failure somewhere in the deployment chain that has prevented smartscreen from knowing about this toolset? 

@Mark Dickman wrote: