SOLVED

Windows Server Preview Build 20344 requesting product key

Brass Contributor

@Mary Hoffman 

Running setup, Windows Server Preview Build 20344 is requesting a product key and no way to continue without entering one.

Previous PK's do not work; how are we supposed to install and test?

PGomersall_0-1619634902092.png

Pete

46 Replies

@Zeitas we now have a legitimate source for your proposal of a key for Build 20344 or newer
cc @PGomersall 

KMS client setup keys | Microsoft Docs

Windows Server LTSC/LTSB versions

Windows Server 2022

Operating system edition                 KMS Client Setup Key
Windows Server 2022 DatacenterWX4NM-KYWYW-QJJR4-XV3QB-6VM33
Windows Server 2022 StandardVDYBN-27WPP-V4HQT-9VMD4-VMK7H

@Mary Hoffman 

Hi Mary, is the functionality not limited when the server is not activated?

Build 20344 is not the final build for this release. Even if activated, it would not be supported. Updates would not be offered nor would they install. Language packs will not install. Insider releases are for testing purposes only and are not for use in production environments.
That thing is cool as... Worked a treat. Cheers.
Hey Mary, understood. No idea why anyone would even contemplate putting an insider build in production.
I've been having a lovely time getting it running on my laptop as my main O/s.

Quite a bit quicker than running Windows 10.

@Karl_Wester-Ebbinghaus wrote:
The thing why WAC is not part of the OS is a servicing policy.  LTSC does not allow drastic changes.

Oh right, I had forgot all about the support aspect.  On reflection, what's really missing is winget.  I know that since it hasn't reached v1, the timing is bad (and can't be installed on 2022 yet).  Maybe next time, and perhaps by then the components in WebPI could be added into it too; one package manager to rule them all.

The Installation of Winget is not supported. Yet there are various good approaches how to use it at your own risk.

To be found in github of Winget and a gist of the wonderful Lior, speaking for Azure Arc. Again all unsupported by winget.

However it's on the official winget roadmap.