SOLVED

Windows Server Preview Build 20344 requesting product key

Brass Contributor

@Mary Hoffman 

Running setup, Windows Server Preview Build 20344 is requesting a product key and no way to continue without entering one.

Previous PK's do not work; how are we supposed to install and test?

PGomersall_0-1619634902092.png

Pete

46 Replies
best response confirmed by PGomersall (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@PGomersall 

This one got me for a few minutes too. After looking again, in the announcement post, it says to skip putting in a product key. I did so using the old school way of using an ei.cfg, and it worked.

To do so, extract the contents of the iso to a folder, go to the sources folder, make a new text file called ei.cfg and put this in it:

[Channel]Retail[VL]0

Then running setup shouldn't ask you about a product key.

VDYBN-27WPP-V4HQT-9VMD4-VMK7H

If you start from an existing OS, the option to skip pkey may not show up. This is how it looks on a fresh install. Note the "I don't have a product key" option.

Screenshot 2021-04-28 142137.png

That's exactly it
the option to skip pkey >may not< show up.
they do not show up on inplace upgrades of previous 2022 versions.

Here are the keys though
Server Standard: MFY9F-XBN2F-TYFMP-CCV49-RMYVH
Server Datacenter: 2KNJJ-33Y9H-2GXGX-KMQWH-G6H67
These are the old keys that no longer work.

Please I have written the code that works. VDYBN-27WPP-V4HQT-9VMD4-VMK7H

[Stop asking for key] 

Mark this message as the best response.

I put this key VDYBN-27WPP-V4HQT-9VMD4-VMK7H but I receive the message that I must connect to my organization server. What I have to do. I don't have any organization server?
Test with this WX4NM-KYWYW-QJJR4-XV3QB-6VM33
What build did you start with to perform your inplace upgrade to 20344?
Windows Server 2022 Insider Preview Build 20324
Do not worry about it, be sure to use Windows Server Preview Build 20344 as usual.

@Zeitas Thank you but the same problem. Any key that works? Otherwise I will install 2019 which I have bought it.

The product is still pre-release and I do not believe any key currently available will work until Microsoft releases the product and organizations can request\download and install their own keys on their internal key management servers. Until then I do not thing the product can be activated.

The keys of 2019 aren't accepted either. At the moment I fail to understand why keys aren't officially published except this build is the planned RTM.

Perhaps Mary may tell us more why the hassle for Insiders.
As I wrote before. Do not worry about it, be sure to use Windows Server Preview Build 20344 as usual.

@PeteGomersall That it says I must connect to my organization server. Is not something you need to worry about right now. Everything works as usual

Thanks a lot for information about new key.
Provided key work fine, did upgrade of the Server2022 without option to keep anything,
however all my files and server settings remains in current state, no issues or losses of data.

During the development cycle, we provide pre-release keys with unlimited activations for testing purposes. As we get closer to the end of the development cycle, that function must be turned off. A clean install will still allow you to skip entering a product key and test without activating.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PGomersall (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@PGomersall 

This one got me for a few minutes too. After looking again, in the announcement post, it says to skip putting in a product key. I did so using the old school way of using an ei.cfg, and it worked.

To do so, extract the contents of the iso to a folder, go to the sources folder, make a new text file called ei.cfg and put this in it:

[Channel]Retail[VL]0

Then running setup shouldn't ask you about a product key.

View solution in original post