Windows Server 2022 RDS GUI

Copper Contributor

Hi,

For RDS on Server 2022 it appears as though the GUI will be based on windows 10. Does this mean that for partners and customers that use RDS, they will not be able to deploy Windows 11 look and feel desktops at all across the life of Windows Server 2022, we will have to wait until whatever the next release of Windows server is in 2-4 years? 

Is it Microsoft's strategy that only Azure hosted multi-user / RDS workloads (i.e. Windows 11 Enterprise Multi-User) will be able to get the Windows 11 look and feel?

Thanks,

James.

2 Replies
My problem is already solved.
It's a good point, and I think you're right that we'll have to wait till the next server cycle. Regardless, given the current state of Win11 and supposed October release, I don't think I'd want to start moving it to the masses for a while. Just with mild use of standalone RDP from Win11 to Win11, I've had a lot of glitches and problems which wouldn't be suitable for a production RDS deployment.

Kudos to anyone on the team who's working overtime to make the current release date. I suspect some long hours are being put in these days.

I would guess the strategy is likely more out of circumstance then some big grand design. At least from my perspective, the release schedule of client and server have been disconnected for quite some time.