Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Windows Server 2022 - KMS Activation yet?

Brass Contributor

I noticed Friday on my company's VLSC site that there are now MAK and KMS keys for WS2022. I have confirmed that I can now activate 2022 with a MAK key, volume license.

However, I'm unable to activate it via our KMS server. I found the KMS key on our VLSC site:

Windows Srv 2022 DataCtr/Std KMS
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-KQDWV
KMS

(Masked for privacy)

I used these commands on our KMS server (running WS2016):

slmgr.vbs /ipk KMS key

slmgr.vbs /ato

Both commands were successful. When I type slmgr.vbs /dlv all, I see this entry:

Name: Windows(R), ServerDatacenter edition
Description: Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_KMS_WS22 channel
Activation ID: ---
Application ID: ---
Extended PID: 03612-04573-000-204477-03-1033-14393.0000-1972021
Product Key Channel: Volume:CSVLK
Installation ID: ---
Use License URL: https://activation-v2.sls.microsoft.com/SLActivateProduct/SLActivateProduct.asmx?configextension=Ret...
Validation URL: https://validation-v2.sls.microsoft.com/SLWGA/slwga.asmx
Partial Product Key: KQDWV
License Status: Licensed
Remaining Windows rearm count: 1000
Remaining SKU rearm count: 1001
Trusted time: 7/19/2021 7:39:34 AM

Key Management Service is enabled on this machine
Current count: 50
Listening on Port: 1688
DNS publishing enabled
KMS priority: Normal

(Items masked for privacy)

This all appears normal.

Does anyone know why WS2022 won't activate yet? This is what I get on my WS2022 systems:

Something prevented us from communicating with our activation servers. Wait a few minutes and then try again. Error code: 0x87E10BC6

I can even enter this command on the 2022 system to manually tell it to use our KMS server (Yes, I joined the 2022 system to our AD domain)

slmgr.vbs -skms ourkmsserver.domain.name

That works, but when I try:

slmgr.vbs /ato

It gives essentially the same error.

Does anyone know if these keys are simply too new? Might there be a patch or MCU required on older Windows Server O/Ss to be able to activate newer versions? I know there was a patch back in the day that 2012 R2 KMS servers needed to install before they could successfully activate 2016 servers.

Thank you for any info you may have!

- Michael

13 Replies

@Michael Sovitzky-Reinders 
Server 2016 and 2019 got the KMS 2022 support with May 2021 updates, otherwise, you would not be able to install the key

Update to extend KMS support for Windows Server 2022 LTSC

maybe they didn't open the activation servers globally for 2022 CSVLK yet
you could try:
- change your current region to United States
- or reboot and try again
- or refresh the licensing store

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService where __CLASS='SoftwareLicensingService' call RefreshLicenseStatus

any news on this one?

@abbodi1406 

@olsookie 

No, nothing yet. My org's KMS server and this server are both patched up to Aug 2021 patches. After a reboot, it still won't activate. Issuing 'slmgr.vbs /ato' also returns the error code immediately.

I would imagine (trust) Microsoft will have another post when this is fully live. Also, a post, of some sort, about the issuing of official ISO media (which they did 8/18) to VLSC and VS Subscriber Downloads.

My hunch is that they'll reveal GA happening 9/16/21 at their Windows Summit. Just 3 weeks to go, I guess... ;)

- Michael

@Michael Sovitzky-Reinders While it is true that your KMS server should be updated with the latest cumulative updates, it also needs to be updated with the Windows Server 2022 CSVLK which you obtain from the Volume Licensing program.

@Mary Hoffman
I already have applied and activated that key. Here is an excerpt from my original post:

Name: Windows(R), ServerDatacenter edition
Description: Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_KMS_WS22 channel
Activation ID: ---
Application ID: ---
Extended PID: 03612-04573-000-204477-03-1033-14393.0000-1972021
Product Key Channel: Volume:CSVLK
Installation ID: ---
Use License URL: https://activation-v2.sls.microsoft.com/SLActivateProduct/SLActivateProduct.asmx?configextension=Ret...
Validation URL: https://validation-v2.sls.microsoft.com/SLWGA/slwga.asmx
Partial Product Key: KQDWV
License Status: Licensed
Remaining Windows rearm count: 1000
Remaining SKU rearm count: 1001
Trusted time: 7/19/2021 7:39:34 AM

Key Management Service is enabled on this machine
Current count: 50
Listening on Port: 1688
DNS publishing enabled
KMS priority: Normal

(Items masked for privacy)

That tells me it is licensed, with a CSVLK key, and should activate WS2022 servers. Do you have any other idea why this isn't working? Thank you.

- Michael

@Michael Sovitzky-Reinders 

I read some more online and made some progress. I ran these 3 lines:

slmgr.vbs /upk (uninstall current product key)

slmgr.vbs /ipk [Windows Server 2022 KMS client setup key]

slmgr.vbs /ato

This worked!

MichaelSovitzkyReinders_0-1629773680264.png

Now, I don't know why this took these unnecessary steps...I'll have to build out another test instance of WS2022, join it to our domain and see if it auto activates like it should within 1 reboot of Install.

I'll update this post when I have more news.

You can find the KMS client setup key here:

KMS client setup keys | Microsoft Docs

Thank you!

Well, I don't know what changed, but I built a new WS2022 VM, joined it to our AD domain, and it KMS activated. Very nice. We're finally here!
If the price is too good to be true, it should be suspect. getsoftwarekey.com is not a Microsoft partner and they do not sell legitimate Microsoft product keys. Further, you run the risk of identity theft and credit card abuse.
there is a an issue with ADK Windows 11 and Server 2022 ADK
VAMT 3.1 is not being able to connect or create new database on a remote SQL Server 2016 or SQL 2019. Please consider it if you need your VAMT working. Do not upgrade it at the moment
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-server-for-it-pro/adk-for-windows-11-and-adk-for-wind...
@Michael Sovitzky-Reinders : Will it work on Windows server 2012 R2. If we need to upgrade then what are the minimum version of Server it require to configure KMS key for Windows 2022.

@oyoussuf 

There are 2 possible questions you're asking. I will assume one of them is:

If we enter the new WS2022 KMS key on our recent KMS Server, will this activate a (client) server running WS2012R2?

Yes, if you have a KMS Server running WS2022, it will activate other WS2022 clients, and all prior, supported versions of Windows Server/Windows 10, etc.

If our KMS Server is running WS2012R2, is it supported to enter a WS2022 key to activate WS2022 clients?

No, it doesn't look like it. It would appear your KMS Server needs to be either 2016, 2019, or 2022 to be able to activate 2022 servers.

KB5003478: Update to extend KMS support for Windows Server 2022 LTSC (microsoft.com)

Please let me know if this answers your question.

- Michael

@oyoussuf instead of KMS please consider to use ADBA / Active Directory based activation. It is much simpler. You can optionally use VAMT 3 to create reports / manage activations or preinstall the generic keys

In Domain Joined scenarios I would not use KMS servers anymore. Some of my customers have no KMS anymore when they have only 2012R2 or newer and Office 2013 or newer.
The KMS activation is only for 180 days, after 180 days, you need to activate it again , it is troublesome, and if you find a KMS key online , it has as risk of black screen if the key is blocked !
I get the retail server 2022 datacenter product key from the Microsoft partner online store keyingo.com, and it is easier to activate with the retail key, and you wont have any problems in the future too