Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

windows server 2022 builds and etc...

Copper Contributor

what is the official build of the actual windows server 2022 of today if i get an official physical DVD or ISO now ?

and what is the latest final build i can get when i do the latest windows updates on the actual windows server 2022 iso ?

what is the build in which the GUI and kernel and shell and use and feel and visual and graphics and desktop experiences will be the same in windows server 2022 as in windows 11 22H1 ?

is there going to be a semi-annual release of windows server after windows server 2022 ?

will it be in august / septembre 2022 or in october 2023 ?

will it be a free or paid upgrade from the actual windowws server 2022 ?

and will the next windows server be windows server 2025 ?

and what is windows server VNEXT ?

18 Replies
what is the official build of the actual windows server 2022 of today if i get an official physical DVD or ISO now ? Windows Server 2022 released as build 20348.

and what is the latest final build i can get when i do the latest windows updates on the actual windows server 2022 iso ? The major build number will not change. The minor build number will update when Windows Updates are applied. It may vary depending on the update history of your device.

what is the build in which the GUI and kernel and shell and use and feel and visual and graphics and desktop experiences will be the same in windows server 2022 as in windows 11 22H1 ? Please sign up to be an Insider and download a preview build to see a preview of the interface for the next version of Windows Server.

is there going to be a semi-annual release of windows server after windows server 2022 ? Please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/windows-server-release-info

will it be in august / septembre 2022 or in october 2023 ? The schedule has not been finalized.

will it be a free or paid upgrade from the actual windowws server 2022 ? The revenue model for the next version of Windows Server will be consistent with past releases.

and will the next windows server be windows server 2025 ? Branding has not been finalized.

and what is windows server VNEXT ? "VNEXT" simply refers to the Next Version of a software product that does not yet have official branding.
ok i have done my research and windows server 2022 got the windows 11 GUI from build 22538.
but now it is build 25140.
so can you tell me in which build is there the same kernel as in windows 11 22H1 (i am not talking about the first realease of windows 11 21H2) ?
and if the retail build of windows server 2022 is 20348 when will windows server be released as retail with the same GUI as in windows 11 22H1 : 2022 or 2023 or 2024 ?
will it still branded as indows server 2022 or another one ?
i dont know the pricing policy of microsoft as regards to windows server : so if a newer version of windows server with windows 11 22H1 GUI would come out in 2022 or 2023 will it be a free or paid upgrade for windows server 2022 retail ?
The UI of Windows Server is still evolving for the upcoming release. When it is released, it will have whatever GUI features, look and feel that are final at that time. The branding situation is mentioned in the build announcements - the branding is still 2022 because the branding for the next version is not yet final, and probably won't be until much closer to the release date. The upgrade story depends on how you purchased the previous version and what type of license you have in place today. See Pricing and licensing for Windows Server 2022 at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/pricing. Contact your reseller for upgrade options available to you. Please understand, I'm not trying to be vague, we are simply too early in the cycle to have all the answers to your questions.

Buenos tardes yo lo único que te puedo decir es que antes de que termine el año habrá una actualización de características a Windows server 2022 22h2 según filtraciones y lo de la fecha de lanzamiento se eso porque 22 quiere decir que se lanzara en este año 2022 y h2 que se lanzara en la segunda mitad del año 2022 en la que ya estamos esta actualización tendrá la estética de Windows 11 no la que tenemos actualmente que es mayoritariamente de Windows 10 que lo único que tenemos de Windows 11 es el icono de configuración . Están sacando nuevas build y te dejo este enlace por si quieres saber mas de la ultima  saliohttps://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-server-insiders/announcing-windows-server-preview-build-25140/td-p/3511626 el 15 de junio de 2022 seguro que pronto sale otra .

I can confirm that there is no Windows Server 2022 22H2 release.
Digo que en un futuro dicen que saldra
You may be confusing this with Azure Stack HCI which, although a server product, is not Windows Server. That product releases annually.

Cuando se acabe el soporte estándar de Windows Server 2022 ya debería de estar disponible la próxima versión de Windows Server es el día 2026-10-13

The current Insider builds are still branded as Windows Server 2022 because branding is not updated until close to release, neither is versioning. Only official announcements from Microsoft can be trusted to be accurate. I can assure you as Release Manager for Windows Server that there will not be a release of Windows Server this year.
Vale gracias por la informacion
I checked https://softowa.com/microsoft-windows-server-2022/ and when Nick Washburn refers to a release of Azure Edition, it will not be a new version of Server, it will be a relatively minor feature update that will not change the branding, version or servicing period.

Cuando me refería a nueva versión de Windows Server decía que debería de llegar como mucho cuando se acabe el soporte estándar de Windows Server 2022 está claro que este año no porque la versión actual de Windows Server lleva hasta en el nombre este año (2022) lo más probable es que como muy poco llegue en 2023 ya algo más normal es que llegue en 2024 ya más tarde en 2025 y si no como mucho en 2026 (para tener una alternativa por el fin del soporte estándar de Windows Server 2022 ) enlace sobre esto https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://docs.microsoft.com/es-es/windows-server... pero eso es lo menos importante es muy positivo que llegará la actualización de características de Windows Server 2022 versión 21h2 a 22h2 está sería una actualización que le dará la estética de Windows 11 enlace vidio de YouTube https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DwP-vk6-UlxI&v...

Gracias por la atención
The 2022 Azure Edition update is based on the original 2022 release. The update will simply be an update to that version, much like any other monthly cumulative update. The underlying OS version and GUI will not change. There are no previews available for this update. The only place that you may preview future GUI changes are in the current Insider builds where Datacenter and Standard editions are available, OR, in the Azure Marketplace preview offer where you may preview VNext of Azure Edition (not to be confused with the Update mentioned above). Azure Edition VNext is only available in the preview offer, not as an ISO download.
Ok gracias
the main question is that every time windows client was changing its KERNEL then windows server was changing its KERNAL to match the same KERNEL in both client and server branches because for security reasons and for features unlocking and GPO and Policies and Active Directory and etc it is necessary that both branches have the same KERNAL in an enterprise or business environment.
For exemple windows XP came with Server 2003.
It is same with Windows 7 and 8 and 10.
But windows 10 seems to have its KERNEL changed a few times and thats why we saw Server 16 and 19 etc...
Now the big question is : windows server has which KERNAL version ?
the version of windows 10 or windows 11 ?
and the version of windows 11 from 2021 or from 2022 (not yet released to general public) ?
and then in which iteration or which build to come to the market will server have the same KERNAL as windows 11 from 2021 BUT ALSO from 2022 (to be released in a few days) ?
BECAUSE I DONT HAVE ANY ANWSERS TO THOSE FINAL QUESTIONS YET !
Windows Server and Windows Client usually release at the same time with the same major build number but this is not always the case. Windows Server has a major release approx every 3 years whereas client releases more frequently. Whether or not server and client will align for the next server release is still to be determined.