Windows Server 2019 Preview Build 17677 - Problems with ALL Services

Brass Contributor

Every time i restart server, audio service does not start, Windows services include:

1. Windows Audio Service                      (Automatic Startup)
2. Windows Audio Endpoint Builder       (Automatic Startup)

If i set both services to automatic startup it doesn't help, as after computer reset they don't start.

This causes a lot of problems with all applications / server applications that require audio.

After few restarts, services that I set to "Automatic Startup" go to "Disabled" and service doesn't start anymore unless i set it to "Automatic Startup" again which goes to "Disabled" again after 3 restarts.

examples:
Audio routing server
AI Audio server analysis / scanning Server

Outside Broadcasts trucks that need audio service in server versions of windows

FM to digital servers like shoutcast with client for direct analog source input recording (radio streaming over IP)

and more.

Reproduction of this error:

After GUI installation of Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Preview Build 17677 go to computer management, services.

Set both services to Automatic startup type:

1. Windows Audio Service       
2. Windows Audio Endpoint Builder   

Reset your computer.

After reset go back to services and you'll notice that both services are started, but they are set again to default value of disabled, if you reset your computer / server again, services will remain disabled.

1 Reply

After further testing i found a bug for ALL services.

Services that are disabled by default windows server installation (tested on GUI version) reset state after the restart of computer.

Example:

Service that is set as disabled by default, resets itself to "default state" (disabled) after computer reset, even if user sets it as automatic / manual or Delayed Start.

So basically services states do not save correctly after reboots.